CHAPTER FIVE- COMPTE RENDU

I LOOK AT the rear-view mirror as Andre’s eyes zero in on me, his serious gaze threatening to make me talk as Elise is sitting beside me, looking out the window unaware of the growing tension in the car.

“Where are we going?” Elise finally speaks up, her eyes fleeting from out the window to my face, her nails picking at the skin around her fingernails.

“We are going to where you’ll be working,” I say as my hand unintentionally land on hers, interrupting the picking movements of her fingers.

She looks up at me and gives me a sheepish smile as she turns back to the window. My hand returns to its position on my lap.

I sigh and shake my head, looking up my eyes catch Andre’s again, this time his eyes reflecting slight gladness, a subtle smile gracing his lips.

I roll my eyes and look out the window as the ride continues in silence.

The car comes to a halt in front of a large building— dilapidated and abandoned looking, Andre parks the car right outside the only thing that didn’t look rundown; a large pair of polished mahogany doors.

He gets out and opens my door as I step out. Elise remains seated as she stares at the building, eyes skeptical and frenzied.

I hold out my hand to her to help her out and give her a minor sense of comfort and safety in the new, decrepit environment she now finds herself.

She looks between my outstretched hand and my face, contemplating whether to take it or not, having every reason to be skeptical I withdraw my hand and glance around the area, letting my eyes finally settle on her once again.

“It’s fine, this is just where you’ll be working for the duration you’ll be staying with us,” I say not bothering to look at Andre already knowing his reaction, I watch as Elise’s eyes fleet from me to Andre then back to me.

“Oh right, he,” I say as I finally look over at him, my thumb pointed toward him. “He is also working for me, Andre introduce yourself.” He grumbles and walks past me with an outstretched hand and offers it to Elise.

“I’m Andre Jeong Durand, pleasure to make your acquaintance.” She offers him a small smile and hesitantly shakes his hand. “Elise Beaufoy, nice to meet you.” He returns her smile and drops his hand to his side.

“Please excuse us for a bit, I have to talk to our boss about something important.” He says tightly as she nods, he turns to me and grabs my arm pulling me away without a word, when we are far enough I yank my hand out of his almost tight grip, he gives me an apologetic look but doesn’t say anything as I wave it off.

“Probléme?” I ask nonchalantly. “Gros probléme.” He says as he paces, one hand on his hip, the other on his forehead.

He finally looks at me and gives me a pointed stare.

“I know I said we need help but this time you were too careless, you don’t even know her, what if she tells on us, what then?” He says frantically, his countenance nervous.

I don’t say anything for a while and look between him and Elise.

“She won’t,” I state plainly as he throws his hands up incredulously.

“How do you know?” He asks exasperated with my unhelpful answers.

“Because she had your eyes when I found you and told you about my plan, she has something to protect and she wants revenge too. Let’s help her like I’m helping you and you me.” I say softly as he looks up at me, his eyes softening at my gaze.

“Fine, vengeons-nous tous.” He says as I smile, I walk past him towards Elise who had by now finished ogling the building.

She looks at me with slight worry and haste as we make our way over to her.