CHAPTER FOUR- UN COUP DE MAIN

I MAKE MY way out of the house, Andre right behind me. He locks the door leading me to the car, he opens the door as I dive into the back seat, my sage coat flared over the leather seats.

I pull out my phone from my pocket and dial a number, it rings three times before it picks up.

I click my tongue in annoyance as the person at the other end waits for my reply. “Get ready, I’m on my way,” I say cutting the call off and not waiting for his reply, hopefully, he knows it was me, if not— he'd be in for a treat, I think as a smile graces my red stained lips.

I spot Andre eyeing me through the rearview mirror and shaking his head which only makes my smile grow wider. 

He slows down at a building as I step out, I look up at the familiar hotel, stuffing my hands in my pockets as I move towards the doors, the rest of my coat sweeping at my feet, my black stilettos hitting the cobblestone.

I feel a hand grab mine as I twirl around and I’m faced with a man I despise, I pull my hand out of his and fold my arms, he stares at me, eyes angry but he keeps it in check. “Not here.” He whispers walking ahead of me, his car coming around the corner, the valet stepping out and handing him his keys.

He walks to the driver’s side and enters, I make no move to enter as he rolls the window down and sighs. “Get in,” he says in a tired voice; I don’t say anything nor do I budge.

“I’m not going to kill you.” He jokes, a small grin on his face, I look down at my feet shaking my head, and look back up at him with a bigger grin on my face.

“That’s my job,” I say, my eyes dark as his grin drops, I watch his expression morph into one of fear as a chuckle slips past my lips, betraying my serious façade.

He gulps. “I’m kidding, se détendre,” I laugh as he looks at me, his eyes scared not saying anything as I roll my eyes and take out my phone, turning to walk.

“Wait.” I pause and twirl on my toes waiting for his reply.

“We can’t be here together right now, Victorien is in the lobby, let’s go somewhere else so I can give you the information you need.” I groan contemplating getting in or not, I shrug and release a sigh not bothering to think any further.

I get into the car and he starts it, the engine roaring to life, I watch out of the window as Andre attempts to step out of the car, and I immediately send him a text. “It’s alright, follow close behind, and don’t get spotted.”

I stylishly press record and drop my phone on my lap as the car rolls forward to an unknown destination, the further we go the fewer cars and buildings we see, I shake my head and look out the window looking at my reflection as I do so.

I take out my red lipstick applying a new coat as I speak. “I hope you’re not planning anything,” I say turning to him, slipping the lipstick back into my pocket, feeling for my pocket knife, my voice getting harsher.

“Because that would be very stupid of you Pierre,” I say eyes narrowed at him, the shape giving an almost feral feline gaze.

“I promise I’m not, I’m just taking you somewhere that’s not owned by my brother.” He says the slight resentment eminent in his voice, I turn away nodding, releasing my tightened grip on the blade.

I look out the window once more looking at the side mirror noticing my black BMW M4.

I look away as I feel the car come to a halt in front of a motel and step out of the car, my gaze lifts to the name as I shake my head, a giggle unintentionally falling off my lips.