Chapter 5: No Typing After Midnight

The angels were weeping tonight, the scent of ritual incense lingered throughout the Ministry. The darkness of the night crept through the hallways, the night sky above the unholy church was full of rage. The night was restless, the sounds of thunder rumbled in the distance. There was a storm coming, it was getting closer with each passing second. The different rooms of the Ministry were silent and still, the odd flash of lightning lit up the darkest parts of the hallways every couple of minutes. The rain drummed against the stain glass windows, the candelabras flickered and the wind howled through some parts of the unholy church. The storm was nearly above the Ministry now, the rumbling sounds of thunder were getting louder.

The door frame to Copia's bedroom rattled, the flashes of lightning lit up his room from the window near his bed every now and again. The warm glow from his lava lamp wasn't comforting, the ongoing storm from outside of the unholy church was making him feel uneasy. He gazed up at the ceiling above his bed, his eyes grew wide while he counted to ten. The sound of thunder rumbled from outside of the Ministry. His grip tightened on his blanket while he pulled it to his chin, he didn't like thunderstorms. They always unsettled him, he had been this way since he was a child. One of his rats soon caught his attention, he was being watched not far away from his mattress. The rat's big brown were full of fear, she was standing up straight. Her nose twitched and her paws were close together, she was on alert. His other rats were sleeping soundly on the couch, but not this little one. She was wide awake, her rat senses were on high alert. The thunderstorm was causing stress to his furry child.

" Are you scared?" He whispered.

Squeak, squeak!

" No, there is no monsters. It's just a storm, it's okay." He said.

Squeak, squeak!

" Yes, I'm sure it's not Papa Nihil's bowels." He said.

Squeak, squeak!

" Do you want to sleep by my feet?" He asked.

Squeak, squeak!

" My feet do not stink, I washed them!" He yelled.

The rat squeaked before she hurried away, he sat up straight in his bed and watched her leaving his bedroom. He had no idea where she was going but he knew his rats weren't allowed to wander the Ministry's hallways without him escorting them. Papa Nihil had told him this more than once, his rats had gotten into his office once and chewed some of his typewriter paper. The old guy hadn't been pleased about that incident, but he had told Cardinal that his rats would have to live outside if it happened again.

" Stupid rat..." He sighed.

Copia threw his blankets back and got to his feet, he crossed his arms when he felt a cold breeze enter his room. He was dressed in his red silk pajamas, they had pictures of rats and bats on them. He looked down at his bare feet before he ventured forward, he had to find his rat. Leaving his room he stopped in the hallway, he looked both ways. He had no idea which way his rat had gone, the Ministry was big and his rat was only small. But he soon noticed a little rat dropping in the middle of the hallway, he now knew which way he needed to go. Venturing forward he wandered the hallways of the Ministry, he kept his eyes peeled for any clues that his rat may have left behind. He had checked the kitchen and the chapel, he had even checked a couple of empty offices. He began to wonder if he would even find his rat, his furry children always returned to his room if they sneaked out during the day. He sighed to himself and called out to his rat, keeping his voice at a low level in case anyone heard him.
" Here, here little ratty ratty! Come to Daddy..." He said before he stopped in the middle of the hallway. " It's getting late, we should be sleeping. I will get in trouble with Papa again if he knows you have been out of my room, you will be outdoor rats! Did you hear that, uh?!"