Chapter 9: What Lurks In The Shadows?

What Lurks In The Shadows?

The Ministry was silent and still, the lit candelabra lamps lined the hallways of the Ministry. The stain glass windows reflected colourful lights onto the tiled floors of the hallways, the scent of incense wafted throughout the unholy church from the chapel. It was past midnight, most of the clergy members were sleeping peaceful in their beds. But someone was lurking in the shadows. Something mysterious had been summoned to the unholy church, his master had a task for him to complete. An unknown ghoul roamed the hallways of the Ministry, he had walked these hallways many times before in his past. The last time he had been summoned to the Ministry it had involved murder, but why was he here this time? Was the cold hand of death searching for a new soul to claim? Keep reading and we'll find out.

Turning right into another hallway the masked ghoul ventured forward, his footsteps echoing against the tiled floor he looked at every door he passed in turn. Stopping in the middle of the hallway his gaze focused on an open doorway, there was no door in sight. He soon approached the doorway, his master's instructions still fresh in his mind he knew he had the right room. His footsteps halted, he lingered near the door less room. His long fingers curled around the door frame while he peered into the room, his breathing was faltered. His eyes searching the darkness he finally found his target, but he knew he was being watched by YOU. He could hear your whimpers of concern, his finger tip resting against his silver mask's lips his gaze met with your own. This was clergy business, he was only following orders.

" Ssssh..."

The bedroom belonged to Papa Emeritus IV, the newest Papa had returned back from Hellfest over a week ago. His voice had been strained, it seemed like Copia had been suffering from a bad cold. He had been put on vocal rest since he had returned home, the unholy church had become quiet. Papa Nihil and the ghouls were enjoying the silence, the Ministry had become peaceful since Copia had lost his voice. Sister had been taking care of her little C since he had returned home, she had sent him to bed early with a hot lemon drink. She wanted him well rested before the next tour, the reputation of the Ministry depended on his recovery.

Copia was sprawled out across his mattress, he was sleeping soundly. His thumb resting against his bottom lip while his index finger curled across his nose he softly snored, his blankets were kicked away from his legs and one of his pillows was resting against a nearby chair. He was comfortable, the warming glow from the Lava Lamp made his room feel cosy. His rat teddy was lying not far away from his side, he slept without any worries. He was unaware of the mysterious ghoul watching him from the bedroom's doorway.

The masked ghoul listened to the soft snores coming from Copia while he crouched in the doorway, his gaze remained focused on the sleeping Papa. He had a job to do, he had been summoned for a reason. His hands outstretched he entered the room, he slowly approached his sleeping target on all fours. His eyes explored the dimly lit room around him, he could see candles and an old looking chair near the mattress. A record player on a dresser, a kitty poster hung on the wall. The room was too small, the furniture looked out of place.

A grunted snore escaped Copia's lips while he rolled onto his back, his arms outstretched at his sides he fidgeted in his sleep. His toes wiggling he let out a couple of toots toots before he itched his thigh, he mumbled a couple of words in his sleep. Rolling onto his right side he continued to mumble, his slumber was being disturbed by his dreams.

" Dickhead, go away... idiota!"

The ghoul froze when he saw Copia's hand reaching towards the rat teddy, his finger tips exploring the sheets he finally found his beloved soft toy before he pulled it towards his chest. The unknown ghoul waited for the newest Papa to settle down before he continued crawling towards the mattress once again, it wasn't long until he was crouching by the bedside. He watched Copia sleeping peacefully, the odd toot toot that escaped the Papa's backside caused the ghoul to roll his eyes at him. The smell alone was off putting, he would have asked for danger money if he knew the task was going to be this stinky.

Tilting his head to one side the masked ghoul stared at Copia, he hadn't been expecting the newest Papa to be like this. The past Papas had been stern and powerful, they had an air of authority about them. But this Papa Emeritus was different, there was something unusual about him and it wasn't the smells he kept producing. Looking over his shoulder his hand slipped into his pocket, he pulled something shiny from it. Holding the object in front of his masked face he examined it, the sweet scent was overpowering and sickly to him. His gaze soon returned to Copia, his task was nearly complete. Crawling partly onto the mattress he threw snotty tissues out of his way, he wanted to leave the gift somewhere safe. He pulled the one of the blankets over Copia's shoulder before he placed the shiny object on the pillow next to him, he had brought the poorly Papa a lemon flavoured lollipop.

The Murder Ghoul isn't all bad, he's not scary. He only assassinates others when he receives orders from Sister, this was a friendly visit. He's done a good deed today.