Chapter 40: Lilies and Roses

A/N: August 25, 2023

I'm a little (super late) but this is a long chapter, so enjoy 🫶 please don't forget to leave a vote for the extra fluff 😌

Q/A: what's your favorite summer memory of 2023?

✏️✏️✏️

Oliver called me on Tuesday night.

"I want you to meet someone important to me," Oliver said through the phone, and my brows rose in surprise.

"Someone important?" I asked, and I could imagine him bobbing his head.

"Do you have a secret pet cat?"

"I wish," he chuckled, and I knew he genuinely wished he had one. He mentioned that he didn't want to own one because he would be devastated when it would grow old and die. He said he knew cats had nine lives, but being unable to be part of the remaining eight would break his heart.

"Who do you want me to meet?"

"It's a secret."

My brows pulled together. He wasn't going to ask me to meet his parents, was he? It was too early for that, wasn't it? I mean, we had been dating for a couple of months now, but I wasn't ready to meet his family yet. What would they even be like? I couldn't fathom.

"And I'll drive," Oliver added, catching me by surprise.

"What?" I exclaimed, a grin spreading across my face.

"We made a promise, remember? If you swim, I drive."

I was smiling so widely, I thought my face was going to rip.

"Okay, that's great! I'll be right beside you during the entire ride," I promised.

"Hmmm."

Oliver didn't seem enthusiastic, but I was over the moon.

"I'm almost finished with the book by the way. It won't be long before it finally gets published," Oliver added. "After years of tunneling, I can finally see the light, and it's all thanks to you."

He had such a nice way of describing the simplest things.

"What do you mean? I didn't do much," I chuckled sheepishly.

"You did more than you can imagine. I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without you."

Even if we were on the phone, I felt just as nervous as I did whenever he was right in front of me. My heart raced inside my chest.

"I'm only doing my job," I said gently.

"You were there for me, and just being there changed everything."

My eyes widened in surprise, and I pressed my hand against my chest, feeling the rhythm against my palm. It was just one sentence and a few words, but it was enough to tell me how much I meant to him. I was glad I was alone in my apartment. If Oliver were here, I wouldn't be able to handle it.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow at nine. I told Camila you were taking a day off."

"I didn't apply for a day off," I frowned.

"I spoke with your boss, and he said it was okay," he reassured me, and I couldn't help but laugh. "You have his approval."

"Will you tell my boss thank you?"

"Your boss says you're welcome."

I was smiling, and I hoped he was too.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" he said.