Chapter 1

"I have some good news and some bad news." Brainy spins on his chair away from the computer in order to face the rest of the team. 

"What's the good?"

"Well, J'onn, the good news is that I know what Lex's plan is and how to stop it." That brings a smile to the faces of all of the superfriends.

"That's great Brainy, and what's the bad news?" Nia moves to stand next to her partner and places her hand on his shoulder, squeezing slightly.

"The bad news is that it is virtually impossible to get the supplies necessary to stop him, and the most likely outcome is mass extinction." He swivels back towards his computer.

"Wait! What?" Lena steps forward. "How can it be possible that Lex has so much power behind him that we can't get what we need to stop him? What kind of technology could he possibly have that we can't stop?"

Everyone looks at Brainy expectantly, simultaneously dreading and craving the answers to their questions.

"He has Kryptonian technology."

Suddenly, Kara is the centre of attention. Everyone craning their necks to see her reaction, guiding their own emotions based on the look on Kara's face. The look can only be described as pure anguish, and thus, everyone else's expressions turn to pity.

"How did he get Kryptonian technology, and what's he going to do with it?"

"I am unsure of how he got hold of it, but based on my estimations, he is repurposing an old Kryptonian defence measure that will effectively cause every alien ship on the planet to self-destruct."

They all bask in the harsh silence following the explanation. Alex is the first to break it, "It doesn't really make sense though. Lex hates aliens, so why would he destroy their ships and leave them stranded on Earth? Wouldn't he be better off making them all fly away to some distant planet or something? What gives?"

Brainy takes a deep breath, steadying himself. "The vast majority of aliens that arrive on Earth are refugees; all they have comes with them on their ships, and so most simply live on their ships, repurpose them for living stationary. There is also a growing number of alien communities, of which those who don't live in their ships live very close by, and so his plan isn't to send aliens away. His plan is to extinct as many aliens from this planet as possible."

Lena is more aware than anybody of Lex's vile views towards aliens. His xenophobia is easily his most recognisable trait to anyone who looks close enough. However, this is taking it to a whole new level. "And I suppose that any aliens that survive will be hunted down fairly quickly."

"What do you mean?" Kelly furrows her brow, her mind racing.

"The explosions would cause major damage to every major city and could potentially even cause major economic disasters. Humans have always found it easier to blame the victim than admit wrongdoings. We've seen it happen time and time again. The victors write history how they want it to be remembered. In a couple of years' time, the entire event would be nothing but a distant memory of a time when humanity was invaded and humans won a war against the invaders. Injustice has a way of falling through the cracks."

"That's awful." Nia stumbles out as she processes the situation. "There has to be a way we can stop this from happening."

"By my calculations, the chance of us finding the schematic for his device and having the materials to build a counter-device is at less than one percent. I'm sorry, everyone, but it is in the best interest of everyone if we start evacuating all aliens from the planet."

"No."

Kara speaks for the first time, startling the group.

"Kara, I know this hits close to home, but we have to work in the best interest of every alien on this planet." Alex moves closer so she can take hold of Kara's hand. She can't even imagine the pain that her little sister is feeling right now, knowing that the thing that could cause so much destruction is the work of your own people.