Chapter 3

Nia clutches at her armrests so tight that her knuckles have gone white from the pressure. Her breath feels like it has caught in her throat, and she wonders how much longer she will have to put up with this, it's practically unbearable. It makes her worried for her favourite tiny human, so she turns her head as quickly as she dares without vomiting to sneak a peek.

She makes direct eye contact with Esme as she was already looking at her, as was everyone else, bar Brainy as he was driving. "Are you ok auntie Ni-Ni?"

She swallows thickly. How on Earth, or not on Earth anymore, is everyone just sitting normally as if nothing is happening at all?

Nia doesn't even attempt to answer but luckily she doesn't have to because her boyfriend, Brainy, shouts down from his position to explain. "Naldorians are commonly known as very bad time travellers. They are known to get sick very easily from it, in fact. I would suggest some deep breaths until we have successfully manoeuvred through the time stream. Once we are in the correct time then you will be perfectly fine, just a few more minutes."

"Does it take longer the further back you go?" Lena, ever the scientist is of course trying to figure out how time itself works.

"Not exactly, but the timestream works in strange ways, it discourages you from entering certain times, around critical dates, such as 1978 in the Rao solar system. We are going for four months before krypton was destroyed and the time stream deters anyone from going within a couple of years before a cataclysmic event such as this, it's its way of protecting itself is our best guess. Even Coluans don't have a true understanding of it."

"Great, our plan includes doing something that even time itself doesn't want us to." Alex is always ready to see the darker side of things.

"Well, that is not exactly true, as long as we don't make any waves then the timeline will remain intact, and we won't have any issues." Lena does not want anyone to start spiralling before they had even made it to Krypton.

Kara is sitting catatonic in her own chair, staring despondently at the console in front of her. The seats are angled in such a way that nobody can really get a good enough view of her to see the state that she is in.

Whilst everyone has noticed that Kara hasn't uttered a word since the ship took off, they all just assumed that she was either stressed about the mission, taking some time to think something over or just a nervous flyer. After all, she couldn't possibly be nervous to be returning to her home planet, she always says that she misses it when it gets brought up.

Kara holds more trauma for Krypton than anyone could possibly, reasonably comprehend.

"Please tell me that we are almost there." Nia is white as a sheet by this time.

Her question is not answered verbally but by the abrupt smoothness of their flying. The time turbulence seems to come to an abrupt stop, the ship can now stop shaking, and so can Nia.

They make it through the timestream and come out the other side. Gone is the vision of a swirly green mess of time and in its place is the most decadent shade of red they have ever seen.

Krypton.

Its aura seems to shine bright with a hope that it can't sustain, to glimmer with a disaster waiting to happen and to glisten with an innocence that will soon be shattered.

Somehow, it was still the most beautiful thing they have ever seen.

"It's incredible," Lena whispers under her breath, looking to find Kara, finally understanding. It is only fitting for someone so beautiful to come from a planet that shines with its own beauty.