Chapter 21

It doesn't take them long to understand why they were dropped off in this dusty ravine. The sides are high and the ground is firm, giving them a straight shot to where they need to go.

Briefly, it does occur to them that they would be better sheltered if they were back in the forest with trees on every side of them but when they lassoed a rope around the branch of a tree perched close to the edge of the top of the ravine and climbed up, it's acutely obvious that it isn't an option.

Alex, the one that did the honours of taking the climb, is greeted by the sight of dozens upon dozens of scarlet plants, this must have been the path that The Rebellion followed to drop the seeds because while they could in theory dodge the plants, it would slow them down considerably and put them all in danger of accidentally getting caught in one and ending up with yet another injury.

They all reach the agreement that, that isn't in the cards for them, they will keep following the path the ravine lays bare for them and march their way forward, one step at a time.

Today marks day three of boring days of seeing nothing but the high walls of dirt and the occasional boulder lying in their path that they have to either squeeze around or take a climb over. It's actually kind of fun to climb over them, especially when there are a few grouped together, it helps to break up the day so they have a little bit of stimulation here and there.

Kara isn't quite as fond of them because her bruises are still healing and it hurts to stretch her arms up over her head but Alex confirmed that she has nothing to worry about, that's pretty normal for her injuries. It doesn't stop Lena from worrying and fussing over her though, not that Kara minds all that much.

She especially doesn't mind as she feels Lena carefully grasping her wrists to pull her up and over one particularly tall rock, she can't help but smile through the pain and reward her with a peck to the lips, a little thank you for her help and a soothing gesture to ease her worry.

They clamber down the other side, dropping a couple of feet with a slight oof.

As she lands, Kara chuckles to herself, thinking about how ridiculous it is that she's jealous of Kelex and how he can just float right up over any obstruction they come across and as she heaves her pack higher on her shoulders, she wishes they made a second Kelex like they had originally planned. She's not entirely sure why that never happened but they'll be fine without it anyway.

Lena touches her arm to get her attention so Kara turns her head towards her, eyebrows raised in question. "What's got you laughing?"

"Just wishing that I had boosters like Kelex." Kara explains with a shrug, the words casual like it isn't an odd thing to say.

"You're weird." Lena loops Kara's hand around her arm, keeping them linked together as they walk.

"I know, you are too."

"I didn't even say anything."

"Your history speaks for itself."

Every line is spoken with the deepest of sincerity, not an ounce of a lie spoken. "I suppose it does."

Walking side by side with each other is something that they have gotten very used to on their trip so far, even if they have spent the majority of their time on Krypton in that Rao-forsaken accommodation that they hope to never see again.

There is something different in the air now that their feelings are out in the open. A lightness that nobody can really put their finger on but is greatly felt.

It's not like they were denying what they felt, they were just holding off on expressing it so now that they are open with their words and carefree with their actions, their intent clear as day, it's made a huge difference, and not just for Kara and Lena themselves, the whole team feels it.