Chapter 42

Kara leads the group across the sand. She keeps a watchful eye on their path to ensure they don't come across anything that can hurt them, and if they do, she has to try and keep the group away from whatever it is. She knows her family and knows that common sense isn't particularly common in their group.

"So, what's the plan?" Alex asks, her arms folding over her chest for a whole three seconds before she realizes that it's far too hot and it'll make her arms get all sweaty, so she drops them back to her sides.

"Have some patience. Enjoy today because tomorrow is probably going to be pretty stressful."

Lena nudges Kara's arm. "Darling, we've been patient. We can't wait any longer. You understand that, don't you?"

Kara sighs. "Yeah, I know. I'm just sad because I want you guys to enjoy all of this." She gestures broadly around her. "I know you're going to be sceptical of my plan, and I'm trying to find a good way to explain it that means you're not going to tear it to shreds."

"That doesn't bode well." Nia's shoulders slump as she squints out over the desert in search of the ducks, almost tripping over the sand they are practically sinking in since it's so fine. "Maybe we should come up with a plan together. Maybe something that is a little more foolproof than whatever it is that Kara's got up her sleeve."

Kara shakes her head. "I need you guys to go along with it because I've already started the plan, and if we don't follow through, we'll lose the progress I've already made. I really need you guys to be on my side for this." She wrings her hands in front of her before catching herself. However, it only lasts mere moments before she's picking at her cuticles nervously.

Lena catches the movement out of the corner of her eye. She reaches out to snatch one of Kara's hands up in hers, cringing at the sweat pooling between their palms almost immediately but deeming it a necessary evil. "Kara, just tell us what you need us to do."

Taking a deep breath, Kara gives them the rundown. "Alright. So, I plan on contacting my parents and asking them to have lunch with us tomorrow at the accommodation."

"Ok..." Alex drawls, already uneasy.

"And I'm going to be gone in the morning at the lab, and when I'm there, with Esme so she's not there either, I'm going to make an excuse for us to stay there. I need you guys to do something for me while hosting them."

Nia holds her hands up. "Wait...nope. Kara, I think you're swell and all, but your parents creep me out."

"Nia!" Kelly jams her elbow into the half-Naltorian's ribs. "Don't be rude."

"It's ok," Kara says, but her tone is filled with so much sadness that everyone is immediately even more on edge. As much as they trust Kara, she hasn't been the most emotionally stable throughout the entirety of their mission and relying on her now, while it's their best chance, is still risky. "I know they're not good people. They're not who I remember them being."

Kelly takes a few quick shuffling steps forward to fall into step with the blonde before giving her a warm squeeze on her shoulder, reassuring her that she's on her side.

"Anyway, I need you to be there so I will have a very brief moment to get to their apartment. I need to get there so I can steal the information crystal in the safe, or rather, the entire safe. I think I can do it, but there's no way I can get it if they're there. I won't have long to do it and we'll only have a little while after they leave for us to be able to contact Brainy and get out of there, but it's doable."

"Huh?" Alex's eyebrows furrow. "I don't understand why you don't want Esme at the accommodation with your parents."

"If they get so much as an inkling that something is going on, it can get messy, and I don't want her there with them."