Chapter 40

Kara smiles widely as she flies the pod over the top of the Jewel Mountains, her grin only growing as she begins her descent onto a cut-out of one of the mountains that has been specifically designated for the parking of pods.

She pulls the pod in close, slowing right down so she can gently manoeuvre the pod into a free space. Despite being one of the most beautiful sights on the planet, not many people visit for a close look; they fly over the top and maybe hover for a little while as they take in the view.

From the moment the opportunity presented itself to her to come here, Kara knew that she's not a hovering person. She wants to get up close and personal with this mountain. After all, she's going to have some beef with it in the future, or her past, or both.

There are probably two dozen other pods and small ships parked up, and Kara takes a good look at them as she climbs out of her pod and offers a hand to Lena to help her down, ignoring Alex when she then outstretches her hand for assistance that doesn't come.

"Really?" Alex huffs as she looks over to see Kara helping Lena steady herself against the rocky ground before she helps her straighten out her dress, which had gotten a little rumpled during the pod ride.

Kara glances over at her, an eyebrow raised in question for a brief moment before she realizes that Alex is waiting for her to help.

"Oh, sorry." Kara makes sure Lena is steady with a quick flick of her eyes over her body, lingering for just a moment on her chest...just to make sure she's breathing. Yep, that's it.

Moving herself away from Lena, albeit reluctantly, Kara steps back towards the pod to offer a hand to her sister, who takes it and squeezes as hard as she can as punishment for forgetting her, making Kara snatch it back with a yelp.

"Hey!"

Alex ignores her, helping Kelly down, then Esme, then Nia. Kara watches as they move to stand with Lena and her heart jumps a little at the sight of her family.

They all look so beautiful; all of them look almost Kryptonian. They're all wearing dresses, something Alex complained about for a while, but they have to blend in so they're overlooked, and they all have faint swipes of make-up across their faces in patterns their alien minds never would have chosen.

"Why are you looking at us like that, weirdo?" Alex sighs, her hands on her hips and her stance wide, making her look like a tomboy toddler forced into a bridesmaid dress at a family member's wedding.

"You all just look so..."

"So?" Alex glares at her, waiting for the mocking descriptor.

Kara searches for the right way to describe them for a moment, her brain racing for a way to explain despite the look she's on the receiving end of. "You look like my home."

The words force the breath out of their lungs. The only one unaffected is Esme, and that's just because she's too busy gaping up at the mountain, the glittering shine of the jewels laced into the rocks catching her eye and refusing to let go.

Lena's lips curve up into the softest of smiles, a hand reaching out to draw Kara near. As soon as she's close enough, she pulls the blonde into an embrace, not crushing or firm, just tender enough to make her feel her presence without being overwhelming.

By the time Kara is released from the hug, Alex has righted herself, her hands off her hips and standing in a much more graceful manner. Kara's words reminded her that no matter her feelings or grumpiness, she has to be respectful of Kara's culture, and she has to open herself up to these experiences. This is Kara's home planet, a part of her, and she's getting the chance of a lifetime right now in getting to see it, something she'll never get the opportunity to do again. She has to right herself and take in everything this place has to offer. For her sister. She's lived by that motto before. She can live by it for a few more days.