Chapter 27

Alex clings to the back of Kara's shirt tightly but not as tightly as Nia clings to the back of Alex's. 

It's quite a funny sight, at least Lena and Kelly think so as they easily glide along on their H'Raka, Bolt. Esme is cradled between Kelly and Lena so she doesn't fall and their Kelex is drifting alongside them, a rope around its middle keeping it moving along with them since it's not quick enough to keep up with them otherwise.

"I never took Alex for someone that would be scared of heights." Lena turns her head, looking back over her shoulder to talk to Kelly.

"She's not, she's afraid of Kara's driving skills, or flying skills in this case." Kelly laughs, peeking back over at her terrified wife. "I don't know what Nia's excuse is though, she has never seemed to mind heights before."

Lena follows Kelly's line of sight. "Nia gets nervous when other people are nervous so right now, Alex has gotten Nia's anxiety flowing like crazy."

"Maybe we should trade places, You have Alex and I'll go with Kara and Nia."

"We'll probably stop in a couple of hours anyway, Kara says that she wants to take a few breaks so she can check on the H'Rakas and make sure we aren't overexerting them since they are only used to carrying one person at a time." Lena keeps her hands loose on the harness around Bolt's head, her legs pressing into his sides so he knows to keep going straight.

"Copy that." Kelly smiles, her gaze now on the treeline below them.

They are still flying low, only a few metres above the tallest trees, far up enough that they don't have to worry about staying clear but close enough that they can still duck down into the trees in the case of an emergency, something that they are really hoping they can avoid doing altogether.

It's coming up to midday, maybe around eleven or so from what Lena can tell based on the position of Rao, and the sight of the red rays beaming down into the trees and foliage is beautiful. There are mountains in the distance that if she was close enough to Kara, she would ask the names of, and above all, there's a blistering heat slowly rising as they get closer to The Fire Falls.

Kara is going to have to figure out where they are so they can carefully plan their flight path around the falls so as to not accidentally cross over any tourist paths and be spotted by anyone, they need to avoid contact with other people where possible. They probably won't be able to keep that up when they reach Kandor but they can avoid that here.

The breeze is cooling and helps fight the increasing heat as they get closer to The Fire Falls, something that they wouldn't have if they were walking like they were originally going to do and they are so very grateful for that because none of them had really planned for how they would be battling the heat when they were planning for the mission back on Earth, it was one of the factors that they didn't really think about.

So far they have only been flying for a little while, probably over an hour but nowhere near two and they have already made so much progress that it makes their trek up until the point of flying feel twice as painful to look back on simply because it all feels redundant.

The thrill of flying helps to pass the time, the everchanging scenery as they soar above the ground having a similar feeling to watching out of a car window but a lot breezier, maybe it's closer to sticking your head out of a car window and trying to keep your eyes open against the wind thrashing into your face.

They pull down and land in a clearing not long after, taking a half-hour break before setting right back off, a better idea of the direction to head into and H'Rakas that have full stomachs and are well hydrated.

There's a nice rhythm to it, flying for a little while, resting, and then flying again. It's nowhere near as taxing as walking but the aches that Lena feels in her legs and ass are similar to those that she used to get as a child when Lillian used to force her into horse riding lessons because 'that's what people of our social stature do'.