Relaxing

After Tokito left, Tanjiro, Nezuko, and I had no reason to stay in the mansion, so we made our way to the garden. The sun was still setting so Tanjiro and Nezuko couldn't go any farther than the porch but they still enjoyed looking out into the yard. I must say, Kocho did have a nice mansion, it would just be better if it wasn't also a hospital. While we were sitting there, Tokito happened to wander onto the porch with us. "Hello again Tokito," I greeted him, he gave a nod in response and sat down with us. Tanjiro looked at Nezuko who then looked at me trying to convey some sort of message. I took too long to answer and so Tanjiro spoke up, "Hello Tokito-san! What brings you here?"

Tokito took a moment before answering, "I'm not sure, I didn't have much to do inside so I decided why not come watch the sunset. I didn't expect you guys to be here." Nezuko's eyes lit up, "Really? Watching sunsets used to be one of my favorite things." Tokito nodded, "Yes, I find the sky in general to be lovely. Though I find watching the clouds to be more enjoyable than sunsets." Nezuko looked overjoyed at this news, and Tanjiro seemed very interested as well. I, myself, didn't care much and just let them talk.

As they started talking their conversation shifted to many different topics. "Wait," Tanjiro shushed everyone, and turned his head side to side, "I think I hear a cat." Tokito and I both looked at each other; to our knowledge, Shinobu didn't own any cats. "Where do you hear the noise coming from?" I questioned, Tanjiro moved his head around a bit trying to pinpoint the location of the noise. "I think it's coming from behind the bushes," he said, pointing to a few bushes in the garden. Tokito swiftly got up and went over to the bushes to check what was behind them.

It took Tokito a few minutes but he finally got up from the bushes and made his way back to us. Tanjiro's suspicions were confirmed when Tokito showed us the kitten in his hands. "Awww," Nezuko gushed, "It's so cute!" Tanjiro nodded in agreement with her. The kitten was still fairly small and was covered in a bright ginger coat. Its eyes were a piercing blue color.

Tokito sat back down on the porch and carefully put the kitten in his lap. The cat was oddly compliant, as it did not try to escape Tokito's lap, instead, just doing a few circles and lying down. Tanjiro and Nezuko were both fawning over the cat. Even, Tokito seemed to be a bit happy though he wasn't making it obvious.

A few minutes later, Himejima came wandering into the yard, and in his arms were three more kittens, all sharing the same bright ginger coat. Unsurprisingly, Himejima had tears rolling down his face. I could only presume that the cat we had found belonged to Himejima and he was trying to find it. Tokito looked up to see Himejima and called him over, "Himejima, why do you have so many kittens? Also, are you missing one?"

Himejima hearing Tokito turned to us and walked over, "In fact, yes, I am missing one of my kittens. Do you happen to have him?" Tanjiro and Nezuko both turned to look at me for an introduction to the man, I started to speak, but Himejima beat me to it, "Ah, hello there Tanjiro, Nezuko! I don't believe we have met, I am Gyomei Himejima the Stone Hashira, nice to meet you." "Nice to meet you as well." Nezuko and Tanjiro replied in unison. The kitten then decided to make itself apparent as it started mewing quite loudly.

"Oh, yes! My kitten seems to have wandered over here, I'm glad you guys found him." Himejima said, turning to where the kitten was. Tokito looked up to Himejima and reasked his question, "Why do you have so many kittens?" Himejima let out a chuckle and explained how he had found them in the forest on the way back from one of his missions, so he brought them to the mansion.

Tanjiro and Nezuko were still playing with the kitten in Tokito's lap when another one of Himejima's kittens jumped down onto Nezuko's lap. Nezuko let out a short surprised sound and stared at the kitten on her lap. Himejima let out a laugh, "The kittens must like you two, why don't I sit down and join you on the porch?" Nezuko and Tanjiro were too fixated on the kittens to think about what Himejima said so I responded for them, "That would be very kind of you Himejima."

Taking my response as confirmation that he could, Himejima sat down on the porch alongside Tokito and let the kittens out of his arms. Tanjiro and Nezuko's eyes lit up at the sight of more kittens to play with. Even Tokito wore a smile on his face.

Tanjiro and Nezuko both took turns recounting their adventures to Himejima as they played with and pet the kittens. In turn, Himejima shared some stories with them too. Tokito even spoke up once in a while. I, however, did not say anything, instead I let them bond with their two new Hashira friends.
——————————————————
891 words
3/29/23 A/N - I'm going to start switching between a new chapter a rewriting an old chapters for my next updates so that I don't burn myself out again on writing. Expect the publishing schedule chapter to be re-written in a few days, which will have a new schedule for chapters/rewrites.