𝟘𝟘𝟛

{Chapter three}

THE BLONDE MAN WHISTLED LOWLY.  "Impressive," He quirked, raising his hand in surrender when Adaline pressed the gun's barrel harder into his head. "And it's not often that I say that." 

Alina decided to press her hands together and summon her light. She glared at the man. "Let us go. Or you'll be out 20 million kruge and a ship."

Adaline wished she could say her sister was smart, but she certainly wasn't the brightest of the bunch. The man, seemingly unthreatened by the pistol Adaline held, shrugged and smirked at Alina. "While I'm well aware you could consign us all to the watery deep, you should really consider how far from the docks we are."

Adaline sighed and dropped her hand. Keeping the gun between her fingers so she had the extra leverage, she crossed the room to a small table and a decanter filled with what must have been some kind of alcohol. With no regard that the drink was not hers, nor did she ask, The Shadow Summoner poured herself a glass and took a long drink.

Blondie glared at her, though his lips still tilted upwards. Adaline relished the burn of the alcohol as it slid down her throat like warm honey. Liquor seemed to be the only thing that could tame her unbridled rage.

"Besides, I'm not handing you over to the Fjerdans." He fiddled with what looked like an antique watch that was on his desk.

Alina's brows shot up, confusion now evident on her face. "You're not?"

"Saints, no." Blondie paused, furrowed his brows, then pointed at the sisters with his watch. "Sorry, is it offensive to say that in the presence of living Saints?"

Adaline scoffed, downing another mouthful of the amber liquid. "I'm no Saint."

Alina glanced over her shoulder to eye the man guarding the door behind them. Mal pondered for a moment, before placing himself in one of the two seats available. "Okay. What do you want with us, then?" 

Alina remained standing, seemingly guarding Mal's back. Blondie chuckled, his blue eyes uplifting at the corners in a rather attractive way. Unfortunately for him, Adaline had a thing for brunettes.

"With you? Nothing." He pursed his lips, squinting at Mal. "Honestly, I'm not even sure who you are. But the Sun Summoner and Darkling..." he pointed at the girls. "Well, you have to know you're both quite valuable."

Mal leaned forward in his seat threateningly. "You just said you wouldn't turn her in for a bounty, pirate."

There he went again. Adaline grit her teeth together from where she leaned against the side table, crossing her arms in front of her chest. Never a dull moment with Malyen Oretsev. Everything in his world revolved around Alina. There may have been a time in his life when Adaline was still a priority, but since his death, nothing has been the same.

She hated Mal.

"Privateer," Blondie replied sharply. "And what I said was I wouldn't hand her into the Fjerdans." He shook his head, eyes glinting mischievously.

"I said nothing of the Kerch or Shu." He sat up, straightening his back. "I paid a small fortune to empty the dock and make sure you got on my ship." His tone turned condescending, casting a glance at Adaline who had refilled her glass and thrown back another drink. "And frankly, I think the Fjerdans are severely undervaluing you."