𝟘𝟘𝟝

{Chapter five}

"THANKS TO NAVIGATION FROM OUR SUMMONER'S TRACKER FRIEND HERE," Sturmhond projected to his crew as they stood around him awaiting orders. The room they were in was lighted by the morning sun, displaying various cases of intriguing-looking knives and firearms.

Adaline stood among the group, arms crossed and attempting to stay awake. After her torturous dream, she'd stayed up for the rest of the night fearing its return. The same vision had been taunting her for months, but last night was different. It felt stronger and much more real, but Addy knew better. She refused to give herself false hope.

"We've traversed the Bone Road to the island of Jelka. As for the Sea Whip, we have some storybook drawings, but no telling what it looks like." Blondie grinned, moving around his table and peers to reveal his weaponry. "Rule of thumb for the unknown...come prepared!"

The man seemed all too excited. It almost made Adaline snicker.

Mal gave Sturmhond a doubtful look. "Are all pirates this well armed?"

"Privateer."

"I don't know the difference."

Adaline scoffed from behind him. The privateer squinted at Mal, his tone turning witty. "The difference, is I have a license." He smirked, throwing Adaline a mischievous glance. "And a healthy love for innovation. Gadgets, marvels, things that go boom."

The shadow summoner knew she probably should have been concerned at this point, but she didn't have enough emotion left in her to care all that much. What kind of privateer had the means to create objects as useful as the things scattered around this room?

Sturmhond turned to her. "Anything pique your interest?"

Adaline shrugged. "I prefer hands-on."

She didn't miss the glowering look Alina gave her.

It was alright though. Only a few more hours until they had the Sea Whip, and finally, Adaline could begin the first steps of permanently escaping Mal and her sister. It hurt her heart to think back on how things used to be; how close the three of them once were. 

Though she couldn't say she regretted having come into this life. Being Grisha taught her many things about not only the world but herself as well. 

"I designed all sorts of knick-knacks around us. You just have to know where to look." Sturmhond clapped his hands together, gaining everyone's attention once more. "We'll go in quietly, on Little Starkov's orders, to injure it for your death blow."

Alina nodded initially, then realized what the privateer had said and innocently shook her head. "I'm not killing it."

Adaline groaned and shoved her face in her hands. If her sister did not intend to kill the damn thing, they would never get the amplifier.

Tamar was the first to break the silence. "You have to kill it, to claim its power. That's how amplifiers work."

"It wasn't with the Stag," Alina insisted. "I think I can do it without killing it."

For the first time all day, the shadow summoner spoke up. "Alina, the Stag chose you. The Sea Whip hasn't. You'll have to kill it."