09. Hospitalized

- Vincenzo Moretti - 

"Yep, yep, we are on our way over. Stay there" I overheard Lorenzo muttering, as I pinned my eyes on him. I watched him stand up, not even saying a word to me as I watched him pack up in a rush. "Lorenzo" I called him over, taking a swig of my second drink of the day. 

"What Vin? I don't have time for you at the moment" my heart hurt for a second, before I decided to turn off all feeling. "What has got you in such a rush?" I questioned, removing my feet from my desk, as I sat up right to look at my younger brother, files crushed up under one arm while the other clutched his phone.

"It's Ace. He's been hurt at school. Now are you coming?" I didn't even realize it was a question until I had jumped out of my seat and was rushing towards the elevator. Lorenzo followed me in silence, pressing the button a million times. 

It gave me a sense of Deja vu to the time when we used to live in an apartment, and all my younger brothers, in particular Blaze and Ace, pressing the buttons a million times. Ace and Blaze made it a game to beat either the rest of us or one another. It depended on the day with the two of them. 

I didn't have a single thought on my mind, other than racing to my car, Lorenzo jumping in the passenger seat beside me. I didn't spare another moment whether or not Lorenzo was buckled or not, I just hit the gas, making sure the gate was open. 

I sped onto the road, hearing my phone ring through the Bluetooth. Lorenzo pressed the 'accept' button before I even got a chance to see the name on the screen. "How far away are you?" are voice that sounded vaguely familiar, but most definitely was not Ace's, which I thought it would have been, seeing the end of his phone number in the side of my eye. 

"We are on our way, Silas. How is he holding up?" this must have been the person that Lorenzo was speaking to before about Ace. I was glad the roads were mainly clear for the middle of the day, allowing me to speed down the outside lanes. 

Luckily, the school that we had all gone too was only a few miles from where we worked, so in cases like these, we could get there quickly. My heart thumped the longer the phone line was silent, as I could hear some distant murmuring, that almost sounded like a crazy person. Oh, dear god, what had happened to Ace? 

"He's alright. I think he hit his head, cause he's talking about some things I had no clue about. Like a teddy bear and mac&cheese that is made whenever he has a shit day. There is a shit ton of blood, and it's scaring me. He shouldn't be bleeding this much, but it's almost like he's sitting in his own blood" 

That line made me push the gas even harder, almost as hard as my heart was bouncing around in my chest. Why oh why did this just have to happen to Ace again? Did he really have such a big target on his back? Can't he get a day where he can breathe? 

I was such a jerk to him the other day, due to being so blindsided by my protectiveness; I didn't want him to find out about what we had been trying to find to piece our family back together. To bring mother and father back together, for one last time.