𝟬𝟭. uncertainty

CHAPTER ONE⤷ uncertainty

CHAPTER ONE
uncertainty

WHAT do you want to be when you grow up?

We are often asked this question throughout our adolescence. We had an idea from watching our admirable family members thrive in their professions, movies, tv shows, and books, somehow we were influenced by someone or something. When we were first asked this question in primary school, our answers ranged from princesses and superheroes. Then in middle school, our answers became a little less silly, ranging from actors to doctors.

By the time you're in your last two years of high school, the average student might have already had their minds set on their careers, preparing to chase their dreams and endlessly daydream about their dream life. For Jackie, this wasn't the case.

Tree Hill High was ranked the lowest on Jackie's favorite places to go list. It was one of the many places where she left her insecurities in her uncertainty about her future. It seemed as though all of her peers seemed to have something figured out, they all dabbled in a variety of sports, clubs, talent art and or simply just knew who they wanted to be in life while Jackie lived vicariously through them from the slide lines.

"Jackie!" A familiar voice called out to her as she rummaged through her locker.

"Nicholas!" Jackie feigned surprise, "So you do remember me." The girl rolled her eyes before focusing back on her locker.

The duo had been best friends for as long as they could remember. Their parents were knit tight so it was destined for them to be attached to the hip. Every Friday night, the two friends would have a game night but ever since Nick joined the basketball team and climbed the social ladder, he had been slacking on their routine.

"Jackie, C'mon," Nick leaned against the nearby locker, "I'm sorry I bailed on you the other night but it was a big game, you know how that goes." The brunette tried to explain himself but Jackie avoided eye contact with him, further her head into her locker, "If you forgive me I'll buy you your favorite ice cream."

Jackie turned away from her locker, a smile slowly appearing across her face, "Rocky Road?"

"Rocky Road," Nick confirmed, extending out an open hand, "Shake on it."

"Then all is forgiven," Jackie happily shook his hand before shutting her locker, "So, I'm guessing you were involved in that little grand theft auto then."

"Correct," Nick confirmed, with no shame before reading the look on his disappointed friend's face, "I mean, yeah, it's a real shame I was caught up in that." He tried to act upset with himself.

Jackie shook her head, "If you were to go back in time and tell freshman me that, she would go straight into cardiac arrest. Especially if you tell her that you befriended—"