𝟭𝟭. out with the old, in with the new

CHAPTER ELEVEN⤷ out with the old, in with the new

CHAPTER ELEVEN
out with the old,
in with the new

IT'S just hair, Jackie thought to herself as she stared at the pair of scissors that rested in the palm of her hand. Before she knew it, she started to chop away at her blonde hair, watching as her locks fell onto her lap and the floor.  With each snip, Jackie felt a sense of tranquility wash over her. It was as though she was cutting off everything that no longer served her, including Lucas. They hadn't spoken a word to each other ever since the night Brooke found out about them and quite frankly, she didn't want to talk to him after his night with the stranger at the bar. He obviously did not have her on his mind, so why should she let him invade hers? She knew she would always have feelings for him but at this point, she was ready to put all the drama surrounding him past her.

The sound of scissors became therapeutic to her as she got lost in the moment.  The weight of her emotions we lifted after each snip. She felt like she finally had control over something in her life and the feeling was nothing less than liberating. She placed the scissors down, staring back into her reflection before shaking out her hair. She smiled to herself as she fluffed and parted it different ways, instantly falling in love with her new style which stopped just at her shoulders.

She already knew she was going to shock her friends once they come back from their trip to Charlotte. Nick encouraged her to come along for the weekend but she declined, wanting to have time away from the madness. Brooke was still upset with her and she had no idea what was next for her and Lucas.

"Oh my goodness," Marie gasped, entering her daughter's room. She quickly placed the laundry basket on the floor before running her hands through Jackie's hair, "What happened?!"

"Back-to-back minor inconveniences," Jackie grinned, "Do you like it?"

"I love it, it suits you," Marie answered honestly, before holding her hands behind her back, "I came in here to show you something. But you have to promise me you won't freak out."

"Depends," Jackie eyed her,  "What is it?"

Without a word, Marie flashed her left hand which was decorated with a square-shaped diamond ring. She hadn't seen her mom smile that big in a long time. Jackie's eyes grew wide, lost for words. She was happy for her mom but deep down inside, the grieving side of her wished it was a joke.

"What?" Jackie grabbed her mom's hand, analyzing the ring, "When?  Where?"

"Last night at dinner," Marie placed her hand over her heart, "Oh, sweetie, it was so romantic. I didn't expect for him to ask so soon, or at all for that matter but everything just seemed so right with him I had to say yes."