𝟬𝟵. innocent until proven guilty

CHAPTER NINE⤷ innocent until provenguilty

CHAPTER NINE
innocent until proven
guilty

FOR the next few days, Jackie made it her duty to visit Lucas every day until he woke up. She stood in her kitchen, assembling a basketball-themed gift basket. Inside the basket she put Lucas' favorite desserts of hers in individual wrapping, his other favorite snacks, sports drinks, and two handwritten letters, one from her Mom and one from herself, as well as a signed card from the students and staff at Tree Hill High.

At the hospital, Jackie quietly made her way into Lucas' room, careful not to wake up Karen who was asleep in one of the chairs. She carefully placed the basket on a nearby stand and sat on the chair directly next to Lucas, "Hey, Luke," She caressed his face, "Everybody is missing you like crazy, even Tim. I know, crazy. He wrote you a little something down at the River Court, he writes like a criminal though so, I doubt it'll be legible," She joked, "It's the thought that counts."

Jackie's smile faded after the no response, "Lucas, I need you to come back to me, we still have a lot of memories to make." Jackie scanned his face, hopeful for some kind of movement, voluntary or involuntary, "Please," She squeezed his hand.

Jackie reached into her jacket pocket, retrieving a blue beaded bracelet from it. It was an accessory that she had made years ago with her Dad, she often pulled it out on special occasions to act as her good luck charm. Jackie ran her fingers over the beads before carefully lifting Lucas' left wrist, They say your left side is your receiving side," Jackie informed the unconscious boy as she slide the bracelet onto his wrist, before leaning down to give him a small peck on his cheek, "For good luck." She patted the bracelet before getting up from her seat and walking out of the door.

"Sounds like you really care about him," A voice cause her head to turn to the left. To her surprise, Nathan was glued to the wall.

"That's because I do," Jackie joined him on the wall, "You must do too if you're here."

"I'm here for Haley," Nathan clarified, "...and a little for myself."

"I'm surprised Dan didn't stop you to go practice some basketball drills," Jackie joked, trying to lighten up the gloomy mood but Nathan didn't crack a smile, "Tough crowd?"

"My Dad moved out," Nathan broke eye contact with her, staring forward at the blank wall, "My parents are getting a divorce."

"Oh," Jackie had a blank expression, "I'm really sorry, I didn't know, I'm an idiot."

"It's fine," Nathan shrugged it off, "They suck together. Besides, I'm the real idiot."

"How come?"