𝟬𝟯. the alchemist

CHAPTER THREE⤷ the alchemist

CHAPTER THREE
the alchemist

JACKIE sat at her usual spot in the library. For the first time in forever, she took the opportunity to study for an upcoming English exam. She didn't understand how she had never studied before yet still managed to pass her classes, but she knew she really needed to remember the material for her next test, she didn't want to risk her grade.

Her alone time was interrupted when Lucas invited himself to her table, "Well, If it isn't Muhammad Ali," Jackie acknowledged him, barely looking up from her notebook. Everyone had heard about the altercation between him and Nathan. He didn't say anything as he slid a book toward her, "The Alchemist?"

"It's a classic," Lucas informed, "I think the message will do you some good."

Jackie's gaze on him softened before she picked up the book to examine it before placing it in her bag. She would be lying if she said she hadn't been thinking about him for the past few days. What he told her in the car stuck with her, since then, she had been laying off her obsessive search and allowed herself to put her trust into time for a while, "I'll make sure to give you my feedback." She gave him a small toothless smile, "So, are you okay?"

"Yeah," Lucas sighed, "I just wish everything could just go back to normal. I've never walked away from anything before."

"Then why now?"

"It's just the game always made sense. It was mine, you know? In a lot of ways, it's who I am. But I can't be that person in their gym, uniforms, or their world."

For the two of them, there was this unspoken, comforting connection. The last few days the two would openly express themselves to each other. They both found comfort in the fact that they were practically strangers, it was always refreshing to talk things out with someone who didn't know you personally without the need for explanation or justification. That way, they felt like it was a judgment-free zone.

"Look," Jackie placed her notebook down to give him her undivided attention, "I don't know you that well but so far I can tell that you're a hell of a good player and a good person, no uniform or any teammate cans take that from you, okay? Now get yourself together."

"Thanks, Jackie," Lucas thanked her with a grateful smile, getting up from the chair, "Don't forget to read the book."

"As long as you don't forget to play in the next game."

"No promises."

OVER the course of the next few days, Jackie had fully emerged into The Alchemist. She highlighted and underlined everything that she felt related to her or changed her perspective on the development of a fulfilling life. She instantly found the similarities between her and the protagonist, Santiago. His struggles with self-doubt and uncertainty resonated with her the most. Both the obstacles and the lessons he faced on his journey showed her what it meant to have a true, personal transformation. The way he found his purpose, but mainly emphasized the importance of the journey itself, was a true eye-opener. It easily became one of the best books she had ever read.