Chapter 1-1: A Lying Witch and a Warden

My sister Luz got in trouble at school again

My sister Luz got in trouble at school again. This time, however, I was called down as well. I'm pretty sure I didn't get in trouble, so I don't know why I was called down to the office as well. It got even weirder when I saw Mama Camila there. Camila is my adoptive mom and Luz's real mom. I'm 16, and she admitted that I was adopted when I was 12.

Luz knows now, too, but she doesn't treat me any different than she did before. I still call Camila my Mama, but I want to know why my real parents gave me up and where they are now. When I asked, she gave me an old, small blanket with a note clipped to it. The note didn't give me too much information, but it might be a lead.

Once we got there, the principal asked her, "Do either of you know why you were called down here?"

I shook my head no, but Luz started to narrate the story of her favorite book, The Good Witch Azura, using an Azura doll and a live snake as the characters.

Once she finished, she stated, "And that's the end!"

Mama asked, "The end of what?"

Luz replies, "My book report!"

I asked, "Do you do all of your book reports on Azura?"

She nodded, then added, "I think I knocked it out of the park."

Principal Hal, a darker-skinned man with short, graying hair responded, "Your book report is why you're in here."

He gestures to the windows showing the hall, and a few students run past in different directions, being attacked by snakes.

Luz, still upbeat, simply says, "Oh. That's where the backup snakes were."

I ask, "Where did you get so many snakes?"

She responds, "The park."

Mama holds up several firecrackers taped together and asks, "And what were you going to do with this?"

Luz drops her head in shame and says, "That was for the Act 3 closer."

Mama sighed, then said, "Mija, I love your creativity, but it's gotten out of hand. Do you remember why you were in the principal's office the last three times?"

Luz nodded her head in shame.

Mama continued, "We all love that you express yourself, but if you can't learn to separate fantasy from reality, you may need to spend the summer here."

She slides a pamphlet across the desk toward Luz with the title 'Reality Check Summer Camp'. Luz takes it reluctantly.

I finally ask what's been on my mind, "So, why am I here? I don't think I broke any rules."

I subconsciously tuck some stray strands of hair back under my red beanie. I was born with pointed ears, so I started wearing a beanie or some type of hat to hide my ears once I started school. I have a couple of friends, but Luz doesn't have any. She gets bullied a lot, so I usually try to protect her. I also get bullied for being 'the weird girl's sibling', but it doesn't really bother me much.