Chapter 1-2: Witches Before Wizards

I slowly woke up in my sleeping bag, blinking a few times at the room around me as I tried to remember where I was. Suddenly, it hits me: Luz and I found my original world, and we're staying here for the summer instead of going to summer camp.

Luz suddenly shoots awake, happily exclaiming, "It wasn't a dream!" She opens the window, saying, "Good morning, terrifying fantasy world!"

I grumble, "Morning, Luz."

She hugs me, replying, "Good morning, Melody!"

I hug her back, but I'm still too groggy to fully process anything. I need coffee and a shower.

Luz picks up King, waking him up, "Good morning, you little cutie-pie."

She kisses his head repeatedly as he exclaims, "I am not your cutie-pie!"

Luz hugs him tightly, saying, "Yes, you are."

She sets him back down on her sleeping bag, and he sighs, saying, "I know."

I head into the bathroom for a shower, and Hooty appears in the window, exclaiming, "Hi Melody! Good morning!"

I groggily blink a few times as he leaves through the window.

I reply, "Morning."

I hop into the shower, brushing tangles out of my hair with my fingers. My hair tangles really easily, but I forgot to pack a hair brush. I get changed after my shower heading downstairs to find coffee.

I see King sitting in a high chair, poking at a yellow blob on his plate, and Luz following Eda, asking, "Remember me? Luz? We freed the oppressed and defeated the evil Warden together? Yesterday?"

I add, "And found out that I'm a witch."

Eda groaned, "Kids, lay off the details. I haven't even had my cup of apple blood yet."

Luz asks, "You mean apple juice?"

Eda responds, "No."

I ask, "So, you got any coffee around here?"

Eda shakes her head, responding, "Nope. We don't have any human food or drinks here."

I groan, and Luz eagerly says, "Teach me some spells. When do I get a magic staff? Was I supposed to bring my own runes? Do you have a magical quest for me?"

Eda says, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down, kid. Being a witch doesn't happen overnight. Also, you're wrapped in a bathrobe and wearing the dirtiest traffic cone I've ever seen."

Luz pulls off her hat and blows on it, revealing a bright orange color.

King and I laugh, and Eda asks, "But a magic staff, huh? You really want one?"

Luz enthusiastically says, "More than anything."

Eda looks at me, and I add, "Sure, but I have my own magic, right?"

Eda smirks, exclaiming, "Magic staff, come to me!"

She holds her hand out, and we hear crashes in other rooms before the staff smacks right into Eda's face before clattering to the floor. Eda grunts and picks the staff up, spinning it before tapping it on the ground.

She says, "It's early. Now, witches are awarded their staffs from school. With me as your teacher, you'll be taking a different approach."

She drops two bags full of potions onto the floor in front of Luz and I. She explains, "You'll have to work for it." She leads us into the living room, continuing, "I run a few businesses. On weekends, I offer rare human treasures that Owlbert drags over from your side of the rhelm."