Chapter 1-4: The Intruder

King called me and Luz into the living room, where we found him with a duck-patterned sock stuck on his nose. I went to pull it off myself, but Luz shook her head, gesturing for me to stand next to her.

She started recording him fighting with the sock, saying, "And here we have the most fearsome creature in the world, the King of Demons facing his natural enemy, the ducky sock!"

King finally gets the sock off, tearing it into pieces, punching the remains as he yells, "Where are you now, ducky sock?!"

Luz asks, "So, why'd you call us here again?"

King says, "Oh yeah." We sit down, and he grunts as he climbs up a table, saying, "Human Luz. Witch Melody. You've both been so obsessed with witchcraft that you haven't learned anything about my kind."

I ask, "You mean demons?"

King responds, "Yup. Prepare yourselves for..."

He pulls a curtain off to reveal a corkboard with photos of various demons on it.

He puts on a graduation cap and spins the cord on top of it, saying, "Demons 101. Demons like me are grim tricksters of the twilight, creatures of sulfur and bone."

Luz zooms in with her camera, cooing, "And cute little paws."

I add, "And cute little faces."

I rub his chin with my finger like I would a cat, and King sighs, saying, "And cute little paws and faces. True." He lightly pushes my hand away, continuing, "We only live to create chaos and misery. Our only weaknesses are purified water and passive aggressive comments sometimes."

Luz coos, "Aw, you guys are sensitive."

King says, "Even demons have inner demons."

I watch intently as he tears off one of the pictures to reveal a picture of a snarling demon.

He says, "The most powerful demon of all is the Snaggleback. He's a -"

Luz interrupts, saying, "Bad boy!"

She puts a colored filter on her screen, followed by several stickers. She keeps tapping on her screen, pointing it at me.

I shove her and her phone away, saying, "Stop it, Luz. I'm actually trying to learn this stuff."

Luz just laughs as she falls on her back.

King says, "Luz, pay attention. This information could save your life someday."

She picks herself up, putting on a face serious face, saying, "No, no. I am so paying attention. This is my paying attention face."

Lightning crashes outside, immediately followed by rumbling thunder.

We all look out the window, and King says, "Uh oh. Looks like it's gonna rain."

Luz gasps, saying, "I love the rain!"

King says, "Hey, wait!"

She runs outside, kneeling down next to a flower. I run out to get her when I feel a drop of boiling hot water land on my neck.

The flower immediately wilts when a drop of rainwater lands on it, and we see Eda running to the house, yelling, "Boiling rain! Everybody inside now!"

Eda grabs Luz's arm and mine, dragging us inside. Luz falls to the floor when Eda lets go of her, losing all momentum.

Eda says, "Phew! That was close. But the important thing is you didn't get hurt."

Luz groans, "Yup. Not hurt."