Chapter 1-3: I Was a Teenage Abomination

It's been a few days since Luz and I started staying in the Boiling Isles. We were walking around the beach when we found the corpse of a giant slug surrounded by trash that spills out of it.

Eda says, "Well, kids! Did you ever in your life think you'd see something as breathtaking as this?"

I grimace at the smell, muttering, "It's taking my breath, but not in the way you're thinking."

Luz shakes her head as she says, "I don't like this." She plugs her nose as Eda walks closer to the trash slug.

Eda says, "Yes, it doesn't get more inspiring than the trash slug. It makes a home, a life from what others have thrown by the wayside." She pulls a rubber chicken from its mouth, continuing, "Until, blam! It gets blasted by a wave one day and croaks from all the salt. And then we get to sell the stuff it ate."

She pulls out a pickaxe as Luz groans, "Please don't make me."

King unfurls a towel on the sand, saying, "Aw, come on, Luz. It's not every day you get to go to the dump and pick apart a garbage carcass."

I say, "It's not every day I want to throw up, either."

Eda says, "Aw, nuts to you three."

Eda swings the pickaxe at the trash slug as Luz says, "So, Eda..." Glass shatters, and Luz continues, "What if we tried some new lessons for mine and Melody's apprenticeship?" Something else crashes.

I say, "Ooh, like reading ancient scrolls."

Luz adds, "Or mix together potions."

I add, "Or-"

Eda interrupts, "Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff."

I ask, "Wait, is there really a magic school here?"

Luz adds, "Like, winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life kid if magic school?"

Eda rolls her eyes, responding, "Mm hmm. What's worse, they force you to learn magic the 'proper' way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable! And that's why it's so beautiful. I didn't finish school, and look at me! Who wouldn't envy where I am right now?"

I gag and respond, "Ugh, I don't."

Eda walks over to Luz and I, and says, "Uh... Hey, here's a lesson." She drops her pickaxe and sticks Luz's hand and one of mine in a puddle of trash slug bile, saying, "A great witch is resourceful, like this."

Luz and I pull out gross balls of slime, and Luz says, "Oh, hey. Greasy slime balls."

Eda closes my hands around my slime ball, saying, "Use your slime balls wisely, young witches. Back at it! We'll hit the stink nodes first." I back up, covering my nose.

I say, "I would really rather not."

Luz adds, "Actually, if it's okay, I think we'll head home and look at pictures of animals that are still... alive. Love you, King." She pet his belly, and I scratched his head as he giggles. Luz says, "You little beach peach." Luz and I walk away into the woods. I look at my slime ball and wipe the slime away, revealing some kind of clear glass ball half filled with some kind of liquid and a release valve on the outside. Luz groans, "Ugh! If magic's all about digging for slime balls, maybe I don't have the stomach for it."

We pocket our slime balls as we hear a girl say, "You can do it! You can!"

Luz asks, "Mysterious voice of encouragement?"

I say, "That would be oddly convenient. I think I heard the voice over here."

We look through bushes, and Luz gasps, "Little witch girl!" The dark green haired girl paces around, trying to give herself a pep talk.