Chapter 1-6: Hooty's Moving Hassle

Mom's been obsessed with this card game all week, and she's been playing it almost non-stop with Owlbert. Luz, King, and I have been subjected to watching her play, since she wants to teach us how to play. Mom shuffles her hand, and the eyes on the back of that cards look up at her. Owlbert, who's wearing a green visor hat, narrows his eyes and hoots.

Mom says, "Watch closely, kids. Hexes Hold'em is the most tricky game on the Boiling Isles. Any proper witch knows how to play."

Luz exclaims, "Oh boy, cards! The paper rectangles that old people think are fun!"

Mom puts a card down on the table, and lightning nearly instantly comes from the cards, sending Owlbert flying for cover behind the side of the table. Mom's cards all stand and roar, and Owlbert's surge forward and attack Mom's, making Owlbert smirk.

Mom says, "Now, when it looks like the deck is stacked against you, that's when you break out the wild card."

She holds up a card with a tower on it. It glows green, and Owlbert's cards disappear in a flash of fire. Fiery letters spell out 'WINNER: EDA' before disappearing. Owlbert hops back onto the table and hoots at Mom, his wings extended.

Mom gloats, "Woo, I win! In your adorable owl face. Ah, I love the feeling of victory. It feels... fluffy?"

As she says that, feathers start growing from her arms rapidly.

I say, "Uh, Mom? It's happening again!"

Mom asks, "What's happening again?"

King exclaims, "Your curse is returning!"

Mom yelps in shock, running upstairs to a chest in her room. She opens it, revealing that every single bottle in the chest is empty.

Mom groans, "Oh, boy. This is terrible. I'm out of elixer!"

Luz says, "Uh, last time this happened, you turned into this thing."

She holds up her phone, showing Eda a picture of the owl beast on the screen.

Mom stares at it for a second before saying, "I know I should be repulsed, but that look is fierce."

I exclaim, "Mom! You've got to take this seriously! I don't want to see you turn into that thing again."

Mom says, "You're right, you're right. We need to head to the market."

Luz excitedly exclaims, "Market!"

We follow my mom to the living room, and King exclaims, "I'm stealing everything that's not nailed down!"

Mom says, "Before we go, would anyone like to play one more hand of Hexes Hold'em?"

She pats her pocket where the deck of cards should be, but the pocket's empty. I stole them while she was destracted.

Mom asks, "Hey, where are my cards?"

I hold up the deck in my hands, and Mom says, "Huh. My kid's a pickpocket. Looks like I taught you well."

She walks up to me to try to snatch the cards from my hand, but I give them to Owlbert, whispering, "Take these and fly ahead. She'll have to follow us."

He does, and Mom starts running after him, shouting, "Owlbert, you sore loser! Gimme back my cards!"

We finally head into town, but it seems like Mom's still in a bad mood.

She slams her fist against a metal grate, exclaiming, "Hey, open up, Morton!"

We hear a nervous voice that I assume to be Morton say, "Uh, ju- just a minute!"