Chapter 1-7: Lost in Language

Luz was reading aloud from one of her Azura books to King, and they were relaxing on the couch while I was reading a fanfic on my phone. Luckily, I don't need Internet for that.

Luz reads, "''Azura,' Hecate began. 'Our paths have crossed only in battle, but today I stand before you seeking an ally.' '"

She sighs, and I mutter, "Z, you're getting all swoon-y again."

Luz says, "I can't help it, Mel. Azura is able to befriend everyone, even her biggest rival. I wish I had that power."

I say, "I'm sure you've got it in you. You've made lots of Internet friends, haven't you?"

Luz groans, "And lost some over my Azura hot takes."

King says, "Rivals are meant to be annihilated, not befriended. Now keep reading. I've been sucked into your awful fandom."

Luz smiles, saying, "Okay. 'Suddenly, the door swung open.'"

Just as she said that, Hooty swung the front door open, exclaiming, "Ding dong ding! Hoot hoot!"

King yells, "The book has come to life! Burn it!"

I hold him as he squirms, saying, "No, it's just Hooty's awful timing, as usual."

Luz goes to the door and brings a covered basket inside, setting it down on the kitchen table as King and I follow her.

She says, "Eda, you got a package."

I add, "It looks like a gift basket."

Mom says, "Probably an offering. Ah, being the most powerful witch in the Boiling Isles has its perks."

King scrambles into his high chair and ties a bib around his neck, grunting as he pulls the blanket off of the basket, revealing a snoring baby bat-like creature with a giant witch face taking up most of its body.

King rubs his paws together, muttering, "Mm. Fresh meat."

Luz exclaims, "Nope!"

I add, "You're not eating a baby... whatever that thing is."

Mom adds, "Witches eating babies is so 1693."

I notice a note next to the creature, and pick it up, asking, "What's this?"

King snatches it out of my hands, reading it aloud, "'Take care of my child 'til morning. Yi Yi'."

Mom says, "Nope. Other people's babies are awful. Not happening."

King continues, "'You will be handsomely rewarded. XOXOXOX, Bat Queen'."

Mom asks, "Bat Queen?" I find a few snails in the basket, and Mom's eyes widen with greed as she adds, "Reward?"

Luz and I ask in unison, "Who's the Bat Queen? Jinx! Double Jinx! You owe me a soda!"

I then ask, "Wait, are there even sodas here?"

Luz shrugs, and King sniffs at the snails I pulled out of the basket.

Mom responds to our first question, saying, "She's the wealthiest demon on the Boiling Isles. Get in with her and you're set for life." She takes one of the snails, adding, "So we keep this thing alive for a few hours and we get paid. Pfft. Easy. I kept Mel alive on my own."

I add, "Yeah, for two years, and then you shipped me off to someone else like the Bat Queen is doing."

Mom has a look of hurt on her face, saying, "And that was my hardest decision I've ever made! I thought you were over that."

I shrug, saying, "Mostly. I can still tease you about it, can't I?"

Mom rolls her eyes, saying, "I guess."