𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 - 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒆

»»»~»»»

i looked at you like the stars that shine
in the sky, the pretty lights

»»»~»»»

"HEY, CAN'T SLEEP EITHER?" Lo'ak asked A'leyra as he approached her. She was lying in the sand, staring at the night sky. The air was cold, but something about it felt like home. After the events that had occurred the past few days, all they wanted to do was rest in each other's presence. 

"Mhm...I was just thinking." She looked up into his eyes, shining brightly right back at her. He could just stay there forever and be completely content with his life.

"About what?" 

"Us."

"How we were when we were kids. When life was more carefree. All we did was just run around and annoy everyone else." He laughed at her sentence softly, reminiscing all his fond memories with her.

»»»~»»»

5 years ago

age thirteen

Lo'ak felt himself drifting in and out of reality. He had screwed up a mission, again, and now he had to pay for it. Listening to his father constantly talking was draining him mentally. It was always the same. 

"Lo'ak, you've disappointed me."

"Why can't you be more like your brother? He never caused us this much trouble!"

After listening to absolutely nothing his father said, he ended the conversation promptly with a small 'yes, sir' and walked away, blinking away small tears threatening to fall from his eyes. Tending to the rest of the ikran, he felt Spider pat his back pathetically, then walking away hurriedly. Lo'ak knew that he was reckless, but how else was he supposed to get his father's attention on him, for once? All he talked about was how great of a warrior Neteyam was, and how much shame Lo'ak had brought to his name. Sometimes, he didn't even feel like he deserved carrying the same surname as his family. They'd all done things that Jake had acknowledged and praised them for it. Lo'ak, on the other hand, only got scoldings and shallow praises. 

"Lo'ak, well done." He would quickly mumble, before immediately rushing to Neteyam to tell him about how he had never let him down. Not even once. 

Lo'ak felt his eyes becoming more moist by the second, until immediately stopping when he felt a soft hand rub his shoulder gently.

"What happened, ma Lo'ak?" She whispered softly, placing both her hands on his arms as she pulled him closer. He looked down, in awe of the girl in front of her. After he had that talk with Spider the week before, he looked at her differently. 

"Same thing that happens every time." He looked to the ground in shame, ready for her to scold him just like his father. Instead, she pulled him into an intimate hug. He felt like he needed to tell her more, so they walked to an empty healing hut and talked.

"I just feel like I can't prove myself to him. He just thinks I'm reckless."

"You're not reckless, you're fearless." 

All this time, Lo'ak and A'leyra lied. The kiss they had a few chapters before was not their first. 

This was.

But they would never tell anyone. It was a secret they would cherish forever