Chapter Thirteen

This can't be happening

Isabella had gotten a call from Aiden's aunt, Nicole, informing her that Aiden had been taken to the ER because he wasn't breathing. Isabella ran down the hospital hallway, looking for his room number.

I can't lose him.

I can't fucking lose him!

Isabella stopped at his door, hesitant.

She opened the sliding door, looking into his room. Her gaze slowly turned to Nicole. The woman wept as she sat next to the bed. Then Isabella saw Aiden; the boy was lying on the bed with his eyes closed.

Her ears heard the heart monitor beeping, displaying his heart rate. Hospitals scared her because of all the machines, the hospital rooms, people crying, and the worst one of all—people dying.

She walked closer to the bed and noticed how pale his face looked.

"He stopped breathing and just passed out. I didn't know what to do." Nicole sobbed, lowering her head. "He won't wake up."

Isabella slowly went to the opposite side of the bed as tears streamed from her eyes. She sat on the edge of the bed next to him, looking at his face. She studied his thick eyebrows, well-defined, pointy nose, and now chapped lips and noticed his long, natural eyelashes touching his cheekbones.

Although she had known Aiden for a long time, she knew how charming he was. Deep down, Isabella knew he looked remarkable, but she never admitted it aloud.

He's the most handsome man I've ever met.

She caressed his cold cheek, stroking it softly with her thumb. She wished he could open his eyes.

"Aiden, if you can hear me, please wake up. Please don't leave us. You can't leave us like this. We love you so much." Isabella's lips quivered. "I love you."

Aiden's eyes twitched and his eyeballs moved around under his eyelids. He unsealed his eyes and turned his head towards the brown-eyed girl, the corners of his lips curling upward. He brought his hand up to his face, holding onto Isabella's hand.

"I love you, Angel. I never got to tell you how thankful I am that you've been with me from the beginning. You never gave up on me, and I'll always remember that. I'm so sorry . . ."

Aiden released a faint gasp as his hand dropped to the bed, his eyes slowly closing.

The heart monitor left a long, loud sound.

Isabella's eyes widened.

He flatlined.

Aiden's heart stopped beating.

"No!" Isabella cried. She pulled her hand away from his face and got off the bed, backing away, feeling everything getting smaller.

Isabella felt sick to her stomach. Then she heard sudden voices appearing in the room.