Chapter Nineteen

Isabella watched as Noah and Allie kissed in the rain while the powerful music score played

Every time she watched this scene, her heart swelled.

"God, this movie sucks," Aiden remarked, ruining the mood.

Isabella hit Aiden's arm with a throw pillow, and he winced.

"Hey!"

"Don't judge The Notebook!"

"What? It sucks," Aiden defended, trying to make a point.

Isabella was about to say something in retaliation when her phone chimed. She picked up the phone from the couch beside her and checked the notification.

MATTHEW

Come over to my house now.

Isabella read the text message, furrowing her eyebrows.

The text sounded odd.

"What's wrong?" Aiden asked.

She turned her gaze to him, then back at the phone. "Uh, nothing. Matthew texted me to come over to his house."

"Oh, thank God! I can turn this off." Aiden grabbed the remote and happily turned off the TV.

Isabella gave him a death stare for turning off one of her favorite movies.

"What? The movie is awful."

She rolled her eyes, giving up.

"Whatever." She stood up from the couch and slipped on her shoes that were behind the sofa.

"Question."

"What?" Isabella asked, turning in his direction.

"How long will you be gone?"

"I don't know, but hopefully it won't take long." She shrugged.

"All right." Aiden nodded, standing up and walking over to her. "I'll go home then. I'll talk to you later?"

"Yeah." Isabella gave him a quick hug before walking to the door. "I'll call you!" she responded over her shoulder.

She went to her car, pulled out of the driveway, and headed to Matthew's house.

꧁ ༄ ꧂

Isabella pulled into Matthew's driveway and turned off the car. She got out of the vehicle, walked to the front door, and rang the doorbell.

Instantly, the door swung open, and Matthew appeared expressionless. Isabella noticed his eyes were red, his lips in a thin line, and his shoulders slouched.