Chapter 2: The Orphanage

The orphanage was not an ideal place to live. The exterior was made of all wood and some of the windows had cracks in them. The front double doors were also made of wood, but the doorknob would come off occasionally. Winter was the most difficult season, because while you could feel the warmth of a fire on your face, there was no escaping its cold grip on your bones.

The orphanage never got any funding and that's probably why only a few select kids were able to stay at this "five-star" facility. The few adults who came around always love the charming and funny caretaker. The children saw a different side to him. In fact, the term caretaker was rarely used among the children; the word taker would suffice. The only thing he cared about was power. He'd rule over the kids with an iron fist.

Although the caretaker did care for one child, May. For her ability to be obedient to the rules and her words towards those in the committee for the orphanage helps make him look good. That's why it just makes so much sense that her best friend is Ven. The troublemaker of the group.

Recently Ven Rowle believes that his family is still alive. He shouts all the time telling everyone that he'll be out of here someday. "I don't need you!" He usually skips school to solve clues that usually lead nowhere. Ven has been saying this all his life and coming up is his 11th birthday.

Tonight, Ven snuck out late past curfew. He felt this time he was very close to uncovering the truth. He travelled all the way to a library in London just to request a particular book, one which they didn't have. Going from one library he finally found something of interest: an obscure volume by witch-hunters who'd searched every village along the coast for wizards and witches.

Curiously, Ven turned to the chapter on Little Hangleton and read about how a family had been murdered there. Which is why he's here in Little Hangleton. He decided he would visit their house. What exactly he's looking for, he didn't know, but he'd know when he sees it.

While traveling to the house he noticed a small cottage next to their graveyard. The cottage was separate from the graveyard by a stone wall. Although there was no light showing, smoke was billowing from its chimney. So, the Ven decided to investigate.

He knocked on the door and nobody answered. Ven waited for a moment before knocking again. Again, nobody answered. Ven did it one more time and finally a man in his mid-forties with messy brown hair, tall and wearing silk pajamas stood at the front door.

"What do you want!" The man said grumpily.

"Excuse me for disturbing you at this late hour, but I've been wondering if you would be so kind as to answer a few questions for me," Ven said with ease.

"I don't talk to reporters," The man said, about to close the door.

Ven stepped in front of the door to stop it from closing. The man turned around and glared at Ven - obviously annoyed.

"I'm no reporter," Ven said.

"Then what on earth would YOU question ME about."

"It's about those family murders sir. The ones that happened in that house over there," Ven said pointing to the house past the graveyard, "I'm just trying to find out where my family is sir."

The man's face softened. He understood how Ven felt, for he too tried to find part of his family.

"Fine, but only for a moment!" The man said, letting Ven step inside the cottage.

Ven walked into the cottage. It was a small, one-story building, situated close to the where the kitchen window has a clear view of the great, abandoned house. Ven sat down in a chair by a circular table that was right next to the kitchen. The walls, cabinets and farm styled sink were a creme color that had lots of water damage. Other than that, everything was a dark brown color.