78.2. Japan Here We Come - Part 2

"Your Majesty, we're ready," Gavreel flies up and hovers in the air a few metres above us together with other Japanese Celestials who are performing a perfect tactic formation to prove that they aren't any less capable than my current guards.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of flying in a full ceremonial robe but, with some telekinesis, it's manageable. I fly up, my entourage merges with the Japanese escort and we depart. The flight is as intoxicating for me as any other time and I also have so many new things to look at, but every time I try to deviate from the course, the formation pushes me back.

"You will have time to explore tomorrow, Aefener," Liana assures me. "For now, try to behave. Your new guards are nervous enough so don't make it harder for them."

Because I can't play, I spend the time watching the city below us. It's so different from Prague, yet the same in certain aspects. For instance, Osaka retained its traditional historical core just as Prague did. Are people below staring at us I wonder? What do they think when they see our flock? Are they intimated? Amazed? Hopeful that we will protect them? Do they welcome me or fear me?

The flight isn't as long as I hoped it would be. Although we're flying pretty slowly because most of us are wearing impractical clothes, we still reach our destination in just fifteen minutes. The mansion is hard to miss because it's protected by a shield. It's one of those old Japanese estates you see in historical movies. Our benefactors must be pretty rich to live in a place like this even though they claim otherwise.

We carefully land in the courtyard one by one, aware of the limited space. There are Celestials everywhere I look and every single one of them is bowing and ravenously bathing in my mana. I feel anxious for a moment, but I forbid myself to think about it. These are my people, there's nothing to be anxious about.

"Your Majesty, let me introduce you to Sunako," Gavreel says and calls a young girl, not older than thirteen, from the crowd. "It's thanks to her and her family that we can have this lovely place for ourselves."

I look at the girl gently, not wanting to startle her. She has dark hair with golden stripes and wings that resemble a falcon. She's staring at me and bowing just as anyone else, but I can tell that her mind is playful and she loves flying with all her heart just as I do. I warm up to her instantly and I bet that we will do a lot of mischief together up in the sky.

"Hajimemashite, Sunako-chan," I say in Japanese and give her my kindest smile. "Thank you for letting us use your house. Are your parents okay with it?"

"It was them who suggested it," Sunako answers timidly, but her voice isn't shaking. She's a confident young lady. "They were so happy when I started to walk that they didn't care I became a different species."

"I'd love to meet them," I smile again and touch her wing with mine. It feels right to give her my blessing. It feels good not to be forced into it for a change.

Sunako's mind is young as is to be expected but, considering her age, her thinking is very mature. I see a lot of suffering when I glimpse her memories. Whatever her illness was before the transformation cured her, it was causing her constant pain. I can't help myself and despite the Royal protocol, I hug her. At least she had her loving family taking care of her, but no child should go through such a harrowing experience. I hope Earthborn medicine will help all human children in near future.

I feel Sunako's tears wetting my robe, but they are tears of joy. She loves being a Celestial and she's relieved to see that her Emperor is kind and cares about others. For once, I don't sense anyone getting jealous that I'm giving Sunako special attention. They know Sunako deserves it and we're all grateful for her family's hospitality.

"Your Majesty, Your Excellency, Royal Consort, this way, please," Gavreel shows us the way.

We're led through the spacious estate and because we walk slowly, I have time to admire the architecture. Sunako's family must have been very rich in the past, but when I look more closely, I notice that some parts of the estate aren't in such great shape and desperately need renovation.

It seems Gavreel wasn't being humble in Sunako's stead when he said that it's more about keeping old traditions than being wealthy. But since the mansion was offered to become my official seat in Japan, I do not doubt that we'll pour a lot of money into it and bring the estate back to its former glory.

"We redecorated the biggest room to serve as your throne room, Your Majesty," Gavreel boasts and leads us to a spacious room with an elevated platform in the back and a seating area by the sides.

"Like straight out of some samurai movie," Gotrid comments, astonished. "Are we okay with sitting on cushions instead of proper chairs, though?"

"It's surprisingly comfortable for our Celestial spines so we decided to give it a chance, Royal Consort," Gavreel explains.

The throne room looks impressive, but I'm not sure I like it. They are literally putting me on a pedestal while my beloved partners have to either keep standing or sit below me next to the throne. Still, it seems Gotrid doesn't see anything wrong with it. On the contrary.

"Do you want to try the throne right away, love?" he nudges me, excited.

"Well, it's not like His Majesty can sit anywhere else," Gavreel laughs slightly.

"Where's my seat?" Liana looks around, confused.

"On His Majesty's right," Gavreel points.

"Down with the others?" she purses her lips, a bit offended.

"You will still sit closest to His Majesty if we don't count the Consorts, Your Excellency," Gavreel says amicably. "Besides, this applies only to official receptions, seating in the Royal Office should be as you're used to from the headquarters."

"Come on, love, try it," Gotrid takes my arm and pulls me onto the throne.