79.2. Love Undivided - Part 2

"Aefener, you're... crying?" Liana opens her mouth, astonished. "What's wrong?!"

"I... I don't know," I try to dry my eyes into the sleeve of my new robe, but they keep coming because my heart keeps aching. "I just feel so sad to see my people compete with each other for my attention."

I can't properly explain it, but that deep sadness seems to be coming from my Emperor's nature itself. I can put up with pretty much anything, even my non-existent freedom and lack of privacy, but this one thing I can't bear to see.

"Tell Gavreel we will be late for the morning reception," Liana quickly tells Ayala and tries to keep calm despite everyone being on the verge of panic.

I want to assure them that I'm fine, but tears keep pouring down my cheeks and I can't stop my mind from touching the Celestials in the mansion. I feel that the Japanese are confident about their gift, hoping to win me over. I sense fear from my Prague entourage that I might choose Japan in the end. And I hate it.

"Sit down, hon," Gotrid and Erik lead me back to the bedroom.

I hug them and find refuge in their loving minds. It's been a long time since they competed against one another. Ever since they fully understood how I hate it and that I really love them equally, they simply stopped. They still tease each other, but it's friendly and often downright funny. Therefore, they know what I'm going through right now and why it hurts me so much.

"I don't understand, what's wrong, Aefener?" Liana sits next to us and gently caresses my feathers. "Please, talk to me."

"This is the one thing I can't tolerate, Li," I say between silent sobs. "I can't bear to see my people divided. I can't choose between Europe and Japan, I just can't. I won't be swayed by gifts, bows and pompous gestures. I love all Celestials equally and nothing will change about that."

Liana is staring at me for several long seconds, biting her lip and thinking frantically. Then she performs an exemplary facepalm.

"We were so stupid!!!" she berates herself.

"I suggest you go explain the situation to the Japanese while we calm down our beloved," Erik says, grinding his teeth.

"Don't worry, Aefener, I'll make it right," Liana tries to smile at me encouragingly, stands up and hurries to the throne room.

"We heard you loud and clear, love, you can stop crying now," Gotrid dries my tears with a tissue. "I don't think there's a Celestial who wouldn't feel your emotional state just now. You have a way of giving us a hard lesson."

"It wasn't a very regal message. Some Emperor I am for breaking down like that," I try to stop, but I sob a few more times.

"You're the Celestial Emperor, one of a kind, stop comparing yourself," Erik tickles me under my feathers. "You getting sad will give them a much stronger message than you getting wrathful. Your kindness isn't a weakness, Ryuu, it's your strength. Only someone like you can manage a race of powerful angels with a superiority complex."

"With a ruthless Emperor, it's possible Draconians would be at war with humankind already," Gotrid seconds. "We're extremely lucky that we have you. I think even humans must have realised it."

That finally calms me down and I stop crying for good. Maybe tears are beneficial in certain situations. I don't think explaining the situation to my subjects rationally would get it across. If it tortures them to see their Emperor so saddened, hopefully, it will make them do some changes.

"Still, I'd rather face my subjects and talk about what I don't like openly," I sigh, disappointed with myself.

"Nevertheless, it's a big step forward that you didn't keep it suppressed this time," Erik praises me. "Don't feel embarrassed, you cried because you love your people so much and that's admirable."