85.1. The Enemy at the Gates - Part 1

"But we don't feel anything, Your Majesty," Guard Captain Vermiel is confused and he's not the only one. Everyone in the throne room is whispering to each other, anxiously fluttering their wings.

"No monsters yet, a rift forming," I try to explain.

"Love, how can you tell with such certainty?" Gotrid stands up and clutches my hand.

"I just feel it," I admit that I have no rational explanation. "Just as you feel cardinal directions. It's pure instinct I guess?"

"Your Emperor instinct?" Erik raises his eyebrow.

"My... other instinct," I bite my lip, hesitating. This has definitely something to do with my half-Divementis brain.

"Your Majesty," Liana bows in front of the throne. "Give us your orders."

I study her for a moment. The shift in her is remarkable, but the shift in me is even more so. I have no doubts anymore. Half-Divementis or not, I am the Celestial Emperor. And right now, every fibre in my body is battle-ready. Celestials indeed are heavenly warriors by nature.

"Gear up, we're departing in five minutes," I order with no hesitation in my voice. "I know that there's a battle unit in Osaka, but this is a perfect opportunity to explore the rift itself before it closes."

"As you command, my Emperor!" the hall roars and, for the first time, it makes me feel truly good as the Emperor.

We rush to our apartment where the maids quickly help me and Gotrid into our brand-new armour that has yet to experience a battle.

"You'll need to learn how to do it faster next time," I tell them because we're behind our scheduled departure by three minutes when they finish braiding my hair. This time I look at my reflection in the mirror with confidence. I love how I look in Celestial armour.

"We will, Your Majesty!" the maids bow.

I turn to Erik who's nervously stepping by the door, feeling a bit left out. He knows that this is one of those things that he will never be able to share with me.

"You're in charge, Erik," I tell him and kiss him urgently. "The Celestials staying in the mansion will listen to everything you say as if that order was from me."

"I know," he nods resolutely. "I'll hold the fort until you return."

I kiss him again on the porch and spread my wings immediately after that. The Imperial Guard is already hovering above the mansion. I spot Liana and Soren at the very upper part of the flock.

"Your Majesty, you have to lead the way, we still can't feel anything," Miruel tells me. We've notified the local authorities. They will try to follow our formation and send the JSDF to assist us."

"Follow then," I say simply.

As always, I'm strategically positioned in the middle of the flock, but that's okay because I'm sending them the direction where we should head through telepathy anyway. I feel that the rift shouldn't be far because the mysterious pull I'm experiencing is super strong. So strong that I have no idea why they can't feel anything. I set the speed to the highest the Imperial Guard can manage and we cross ten kilometres in just six minutes.

Listen, everyone, I address the whole Royal Guard. Our mission today isn't to only defeat the monsters that come through. We have a unique opportunity to explore the rift itself. For that, I need you to protect me from incoming attacks as I won't be joining the battle unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

"As you command, Your Majesty," Vermiel shouts back against the wind. "However, we need you to respect that should the situation turn dangerous, we won't hesitate to escort you to safety."