Chapter Nine

I stumble backwards, resting myself against a fallen tree log, feeling the bark dig into my lower back. Issac and I were in the Beacon Hills forest that resided behind the school, as Isaac's house was still a crime scene and I didn't really care to explain to my mother why I was skipping school with a guy I had only just met to get drunk. As I'm not use to the alcohol, it takes only a few gulps before I start to feel the effects kick in; slight dizziness and a strange tingling sensation on the tip of my tongue. I focus on a single point on the ground in order to stop my head from spinning. After a couple of moments Isaac joins me, flopping down next to me with a crunching noise as his head rests upon the dead leaves covering the ground.

"Are you drunk?" He asks, his words slurring slightly.

"No, I'm just thinking," I reply after I spend a moment contemplating whether I was indeed intoxicated or not.

"Am I drunk?"

"You're wasted."

"Yes!" Isaac pounds a fist in the air, a wide, dopey smile spread across his glazed over face. I can't help but giggle.

"And why is that a proud accomplishment?"

"Because I've been through so much shit, I've realized I've never really been a teenager. And getting drunk is definitely number two on my bucket list."

"What's number one?" I ask, picking up a thin stick and slowly breaking it between my fingers, letting the remnants fall back to the ground.

"To kiss a beautiful girl." Isaac moves back to substitute the log I'm leaning up against as a pillow. His head lazily tilts so that he can look over at me. "And I'm guessing you're not in the mood to make out right now," he smirks.

Usually I would be annoyed by a comment like this, coupled with the cocky grin now spread across Isaac's face, but the vodka had relaxed my whole body, so much so that I did nothing but scoff and roll my eyes in return. "Drinking is awesome, why don't people drink every day?" Isaac asks.

"They do, it's called alcoholism," I retort with a grin. I'm about to ask him to hand me the bottle currently residing in his hand when we both jolt up to the sound of a voice.

"Hello?" It's Mr Rogers, my chemistry teacher, aka the worst teacher in school. His footsteps crunch under leaves as we here him make his way through the forest.

"What do we do?" I ask Isaac, feeling the usual anxiety take over once again.

"Run," he whispers. Isaac quickly jumps to his feet, almost trips but regains balance and grabs me by the hand, pulling me to my feet with ease. As we begin to run towards the track which leads back to the front of the school, we hear Mr Rogers voice in the distance "bloody kids," he mutters.

It is difficult to run when your head is spinning and you feel like you're going to throw up at any moment, but somehow Isaac and I manage to make it back to the front side of the school, before my lungs give out and I have to stop running. I lean back against the concrete wall, feeling the cool seep in through my clothing and every single breath that manages to escape my mouth. Isaac leans over slightly, his hands rested on his knees as he coughs a few times. At least I'm not the only unfit one, I think to myself, although judging by Isaac's strong build he definitely knows his way around the gym. After he catches his breath Isaac begins to laugh, and I don't know why, maybe it's the feeling of escaping getting into trouble or more simply because of the alcohol still pulsing through my veins, but I feel myself laughing in return. "You know what?" Isaac asks, leaning a hand up against the wall beside me so that he is towering over me.

"What?" I ask, feeling myself take a gulp.

"If I kissed you, I'd tell everyone. I'd shout it from the top of this building, carve it into a tree, I would tell anyone who'd listen because that's how important it would be to me." He leans in, his eyes not flickering from mine for even a second. Isaac is only inches from me, so much so that I can smell the strong odor of vodka and cologne, although it doesn't bother me, I'm too mesmerized by his gorgeous blue eyes. It feels as though I could get lost in them. Just as I'm sure he's about to kiss me someone comes around the corner.

At first I suspect it to be Mr Rogers, but then a familiar voice calls out my name in a slightly startled tone. I turn to face Stiles, clearing my throat slightly. He looks between Isaac and me, an angry look quickly forming across his face. Isaac slowly moves back from me, although he remains close by my side, his glare set on Stiles. "You weren't at the game," Stiles says through clenched teeth.

"Yeah, well we had better things to do then watch your little high school match," Isaac replies bitterly.

"Isaac," I say gently, not wanting the negative tension between the two to escalate any further. Isaac looks between Stiles and I, before sighing. "I'll see you later, Lyds," he says quietly, before giving a stern glance towards Stiles and leaving.

There are a few moments of silence between Stiles and I, before I realize I don't really want to be having any sort of conversation with Stiles, and turn to leave.

"Lydia, wait." Stiles begins after me. "I was hoping we could talk."

"I have nothing to say to you," I reply shortly, quickening my pace.

"Why?" He asks, catching up to me.

"Hmm, let me think. Maybe it's the fact that you kissed me, only to get back with your ex the very next day, that might be it."

"I can explain." I can hear the guilt in his voice.

"No, Stiles, don't." I turn to face him. "I don't care if you don't like me, if the kiss was only to calm me down or a spare of the moment mistake, I don't care. I care that I thought I could trust you, only to find that you're just another disappointment. But I guess that's my own damn fault." I turn on my heel, marching off before remorse takes over and I run back to apologize. The last thing I hear Stiles say before I head back inside the building is "but I do Lydia Martin, I do like you."

———————

Author's Note

Hey guys,

So I have a few notes.

Firstly, yes I'm aware that this is a Stydia story, but because I'm trying to stay true to the main plot there had to be a love triangle (just like in Teen Wolf how Stiles began to date Malia), this is still very much a story about Stiles and Lydia falling in love though.

I'm trying to update as frequently as possible, but because it's coming up to exams for me and I am in my final year of school, I may not be updating for a bit because I will be focusing on that. I apologize for this and will try to write when I can.

As I'm almost half way through this fanfic now (I've always planned to have about 20 chapters) I have been thinking about writing my own work (not fan fiction). I have some ideas which I'll soon be uploading to Instagram to see which stories appeal, so if you follow me on there look out for that.

Other than that I just wanted to say thank you for reading my story and for the continued support through follows, votes, and kind comments.

Xx

VintageMiseryx