Chapter Fourteen

Recommendation: when you get to the part where they are dancing I would recommend listening to 'Kiss Me' by Ed Sheeran as this song was the inspiration for that part.

I shiver slightly as I hop out of Stiles' Jeep awkwardly, still learning how to balance in high heels. I hug my clutch tighter to my body as I let out a sigh, looking over towards the school. The place would usually represent an abandoned mental facility on a Friday night, but the prom occurring inside has resulted in an array of flashing lights seeping out of the windows and dissolving into the dewey grass surrounding the school.

The car ride to the school had been more than awkward, with Allison and Scott attempting to engage us in conversation before eventually giving up as we sat in silence. That same silence was deafening as we entered the school, the only sound to be heard the clonking of my heels on the cement. As we entered the gym I looked around at what it had become. Yes, it was still the same typical high school gym, but streamers and balloons decorated the place, with a platform installed for a DJ to play his music on and a spinning disco ball that reflected light in all directions.

I shiver again and rub my hands up and down my arms, feeling the goosebumps forming on my skin. "Are you cold?" Stiles asks, his eyes still focused on the dance floor.
"No," I lie, straining for my voice to be heard over the thumping music.
"Here take my jacket." Stiles begins to take his black jacket off.
I cut him off, "don't worry about it, I'm fine," I say quickly.
"Well if you're cold," he says, looking over at me with a furrowed brow.
"I said I'm fine," I snap a little, causing him to pause for a second before slowly putting his jacket back on.
"Fine then, just trying to be nice," he says bitterly, looking at the ground.
"Thank you, anyway," I mumble after a second.

Allison walks up to me and places her hands on my shoulders, smiling broadly. "C'mon guys, let's dance!" I look over towards Stiles, attempting to send him a telepathic message to ask if he wanted to. He looks from Allison, to me, to the dance floor, then back to Allison. "I'll pass," he says after a moment.
"Yeah, me too. I'm not much of a dancer," I lie, secretly wishing Stiles had said yes. I mean, I knew we weren't exactly on the best of terms right now, but this was prom, he could at least pretend like he didn't hate me!
"Suit yourselves then," Allison shrugs, heading over to join Scott on the dance floor. Stiles walks over to a nearby table and sits down. I awkwardly follow, sitting across from him. He's looking out annoyedly across the dance floor, his fingers tapping agitatedly on the table, whilst biting his bottom lip slightly. I sigh, resting my head in my hand as I mutter sarcastically "this is going to be a fun night."

***
It's been at least half an hour, and still, nothing. Whenever I try to talk to Stiles he just snaps back a sarcastic reply. I've finally had enough, so much so that I angrily stand up and stand in front of Stiles. "Dance with me," I say firmly.
He looks at me and smirks slightly, as if surprised by this new found confidence. "No." I fold my arms across my chest.
"Dance with me."
"The answer's still no."
"Stiles, get off your cute little butt and dance with me!" I yell before realising what I'd said. I look down slightly as my cheeks turn red, but are determined to keep my stance.
"Interesting tactic, but no." The smirk spread across Stiles' face angers me.

"Why do you do this?" I ask.
"Do what?" He leans forward slightly, intrigued.
"Act like you don't care about anything. I know you try so desperately hard to uphold this facade of being the school jock, the guy who's always charming and funny but never smart. Oh no, because we couldn't possibly have people thinking you did well in maths or science, that would ruin this whole character you've created. Well I hate to break it to you, but I know how incredibly smart you are. And I also know that when this year's over you're going to go on to do something amazing. It's too late to try and act like you don't care with me, I see you for who you really are."

Stiles just sits there, his mouth slightly open as he stares at me, as though he's become a statue. Even though there's music blaring from the speakers of the gym I can't take this silence between us anymore. "Say something."
"Let's dance," he says, his voice as startled as he appears.
"What?" I ask, stunned myself.
"Let's dance," he repeats, his voice steadier this time as he stands up and puts his arm out. I can't contain my smile as I hook my arm through his and follow him to the dance floor.

As we find a space on the dance floor, Ed Sheeran's 'Kiss Me' begins to play, as Stiles wraps his arms around my waist, and I in return drape my hands around him, settling them at the nape of his neck. We rock back and forth, not really knowing how to dance but content with swaying gently. "This is nice," Stiles says after a moment, looking at me.
"Yeah," I reply.
"So, you think I'm smart, huh?" He asks, smiling.
"Maybe," I reply, laughing.
"No one's ever told me I'm smart before."
"Really?"
"Yeah, it's nice."
The DJ interrupts us. "Alrighty Beacon Hills seniors, this song is called 'Kiss Me,' so find that special person and give them a big kiss!"

I laugh at the cheesiness of the DJ, looking around to see all the couples surrounding us kissing. "What's so funny, Lydia? Don't want to kiss me?" Stiles asks, smirking.
"Well, if I must." I bite my bottom lip slightly. Stiles places his thumb and index finger gently on my chin, titling my head up slightly as he leans in. Our lips almost touch as I notice something out of the corner of my eye.

"Isaac?" I ask, baffled as I pull away and lean on my tip toes to see over Stiles' shoulder. There Isaac is standing in the doorway of the gym, staring directly at Stiles and I with an utterly hurt look spread across his face. He shakes his head slightly as he turns and walks back out the door. "Isaac!" I yell as I begin to push past people towards the exit.
"Lydia, wait!" I hear Stiles call out after me. I ignore Stiles, rushing out to the lacrosse field attached to the exit door.

I call out Isaac's name again, but there is no one out here, or as far as I can tell. There are no lights on, and as I squint in the darkness I head closer to into the middle of the field, my heels sinking into the grass. My head spins to the left as I hear a rustling sound. "Who's there?" I ask. Suddenly, the lights for the field turn on, blinding me with their brightness. I put my hand up in an attempt to block the lights out, but to no use. They turn off as soon as they came on, leaving me to feel uneasy in the stomach.

I begin to walk back towards the school, wanting to be safe indoors as soon as possible. Something grabs me from behind, pushing me to the ground roughly. I let out a sharp scream as my head slams into the hard ground. I try to stand and run but the entity has pushed me down again, this time pressing all their weight on top of me. I do the only thing I can think of, which is to scream, scream until my lungs hurt and my throat is sore. They place their hands around my neck and smash my head into the ground before hitting the side of my temple with a nearby rock, trying to stop my screams. It works, I go quiet instantly, feeling a warm trickle of blood slowly crawl down my face. My mind becomes fuzzy as I feel light headed, and all I can think is "this is it, I'm about to die." I squint in the darkness, trying ever so desperately to see who my assailant is, with no luck. When I am able to make out the shape of something I gasp in horror as I see the glinting of a blade reflect off of the light from the moon. I make one last desperate attempt to escape by wriggling around violently under my captor, before I feel the metal object pierce into the side of my stomach, igniting my body in unbearable pain. It only lasts for a few seconds, as I feel my eyelids grow heavy, the pain turning into numbness as I fall into a black abyss.