Always in my mind, Forever in my heart (1)

Zendaya PoV

I will never forget that moment 10 months ago that changed my life within a second.

That changed our life.

Tom had hurt himself on the Set of Spiderman 5, so we had driven him to the hospital. It wasn't bad, he just broke his ankle and one wound on his shoulder had to be stitched up. We thought everything was alright, we could leave the hospital. Thats when the doctor told us to stay, because he found something in Toms blood that was unusual. Something with his blood cells.

We should have known. We should have known this wasn't a bad joke from our fate. We should have know that our luck, our young love and just started marriage would be ruined through fate. But we didn't. We thought Tom hadn't eaten enough or had an inflammation somewhere in the body. Nothing bad.

Fate proved us wrong.

A few hours later, we had sat there, trembling hands interlocked, tears in our eyes as the doctor told us that Tom was suffering from Leukemia and that the cancer was already quite advanced.

My whole world stopped. Everything went loud and at the same time quiet. I felt so less and yet so unspeakably much. It was like a part of my heart had been teared apart.

I didn't understand it. And I still don't. Why Tom? Why us?

We just had began to start a family. We had been married for 4 months and we had started to try for a baby. And then.. this.

I remember us, lying in Toms hospital bed and crying for hours. Comforting each other. Trying to realise what the doctor said. Trying to not give up. Trying to make a plan. Trying to find hope.

We promised each other that day that we would fight. That we will fight against this fucking cancer. We promised ourselves that we would enjoy every day that we could still have together. To see the good every day and try to look to the future with hope. And that we won't let the cancer ruin our plans and dreams.

---

Now, 10 months later, I was packing my hospital bag, while Tom watched me smiling. We were sitting in our nursery. The nursery for our little girl that was on the way.

I know, we promised to still chase our dreams of an own little family, and I was happy, more then happy when I felt my little girls kicks through my belly. But sometimes, I got sad when the realisation of the fact, that Tom won't get to watch our daughter grow up, hit me.

Like right now.

I folded my clothes while looking at Tom, who was still folding a few onsies.

He had two infusion lines and next to him was the rolling pole with the infusion bag. He sat in a wheel chair, because in the last few weeks he have had more and more debilitating attacks. The chemotherapy had made him physically infinitely weak. His skin was pale and he was bald.

I swallowed. I was used to this. And it still broke my heart every time I saw him like this. Weak and yet fighting. While we both know, that he will lose this fight one day.

Just yesterday, at his monthly check-up, the doctor told us that we would not have much more time together. The cancer had spread and Tom was losing weight no matter what he ate.

,,Maybe 2 months, maybe 3. I don't know it, Mrs. Holland." the doctor had said to me and I was still struggling to cope with that.

,,Love. It's okay."

I snapped out of my thoughts when his hand stroked over my cheek to brush a tear away.

I tried to smile. ,,I know. It's just hard.." It wasn't okay. It was everything but okay. But I needed to be strong.