First for everything chapter one

Chapter one:

Have you ever just had one thing on your mind? No, not boys I mean like a dream... Or in my case a nightmare. As I stared at the phone in dispair I still could only think about that voice. Telling me I was doing nothing. Like right now.
How do you get a job when the only full sentence you formed at the interview was; ‘ok, thankyou goodbye.’? I wanted to do what girls in movies did where they bounced up and down with excitement and called their best friends. But all I did was think; What could I do to fix a problem going on across the country? My answer not found. Instead after the call I looked at my phone and gaped at the television. Even if the dream was fuzzy it was a match to the image on the screen. “We are still in waiting to know who made it out alive... It seems that the people in this area didn’t make it. That’s right we will all stand by in hopes of someone., anyone to make it out alive.” A small tap on my shoulder made me jump, “Vi what did they say?” I mastered a grin, “I-I got the job mum,” She grinned clutching my cheek in her hand, “My little Vi has her first job,” I groaned, “’Your little Vi,’ is running late for school. See you mum.” I got up picking my converse bag in one hand and half my breakfast in the other. Then started to trek to the bus stop on the corner of my street. While I waited I stood awkwardly while the first signs of excitement hit my stomach. I had a job. A job close to my house that paid money. Sure it was at a shabby gift shop but at least I had it. I let a grin crawl to my lips as the bus showed up stopping with a horrible stench I actually stepped inside with a bounce to my stride. “Vi!” I turned seeing James Samson; Kristy’s boyfriend and my best friend since kindy. “Hey Jay, you’ll never guess what happened this morning,” I said as I sat next to him leaning on his shoulder feeling a comfort in being with a friend who didn’t make me feel panicky. “Yeah?” I nodded, “I got a call...” He shook me off to look at me full faced, “and?” I sighed, “well, I got a job!” He slowly grinned; one in which most girls dropped dead for, “that’s great I bet Helen is proud.” I nodded, “yeah mum is,” I said monotone. He chuckled at my sarcasm, “well I’m sure the twins will be happy for you and so will Michael and Damon.” I grinned, “Yeah; I’m almost proud of myself,” he hugged me to him and said in a mocking voice, “I’m almost proud too,”      

 Entering my school this late is so accepted the bell rings three times with two minute breaks between each one. Yet I feel the need to be there early. Even as James and I found our first class we noticed scattered groups of chatting people. “Well on that note I see the twins,” I muttered seeing Kristy and Valley walk up to us.  “Hey babe,” James said taking Kristy in his arms as her chocolate skin flushed. “Hey Jay, it’s nice to see you too.” Said Valley as she watched in disgust while the two lovers had a moment, “where’s Damon?” I asked feeling the need to have them ask me if I got the call from work, “late.” She answered shrugging. “I see... Well I guess gossip can wait.” I blurted. “What gossip?” Asked the twins in unison. “Oh it’s nothing look we got to get into class tell Michael I love him?” They both groaned nodding; Kristy kissed James’s cheek and left with Valley. “Waiting for Damon?” I laughed at James’s question while we took our back seats, “Oh, Michael?” I nodded then turned to the front where Miss Joan stood. Sometimes I find Biology the most boring subject but today my gaze was stuck on the giant poster held to the white board with a dolphin magnet. “Bio CAMP! Includes snorkelling and rock climbing/abseiling” I heard an anticipated intake of my friend Gail Penny. “That looks fun.” She said making me turn my attention to her, “yeah it sure does I’m so going!” we both did a very unattractive squeal and I could almost feel the teachers eyes roll. “As you can all see a camp will be coming up for the biology class, but we can’t get distracted from today’s lesson. Get out your homework out and open your pages to 49.” An eruption of groans escaped the class’s mouths.
 When morning break arrived I made a big show of smiling. I even let a toothy grin show to Michael who was right now hugging me tightly. “So,” Started Valley,
“You said-,”
“You had-,”
They both took a deep breath, “GOSSIP!” Oh joy now my grin is fading I can already feel the spastic butterfly’s in my tummy. “Yeah,” I let Michael slightly turn me so he was my shield from the outside of our group, “I got the job.” I swear the twins weren’t even speaking Englished as they gushed their congratulations to me. “That’s great blue bird,” added Michael kissing my cheek where I blushed. “Yeah well done Vi.” Said Damon who was now looking up from the ground. The rest of our group murmured their own ‘well done’ and ‘congrats’ from across our circle. I gave a polite ‘thanks’ and turned back to Michael who was leaning down ready to kiss my lips. A warmth flooded my mind and heart while we stood in a perfect picture until I saw Sara Knight start to sway toward us. You see the twins and Sara Knight used to be the three masked tears... Yes the name said it all, they all being in drama together and known how to make a scene able fake a tear anytime anywhere which gave them the name. Until I transferred... I like to think it was all me but I can’t say that Sara had done what she did out of jealousy or just out of need of seeking attention. Damon and Valley used to be king and queen together and Sara was dating Ryan Ander someone who could get away with anything from one charming lie. But Sara had had enough and had gone against every friend rule in the book. Valley still never really looked at him unless forced. They had kissed at the twins birthday. So where do I come in? Ok well I was already friends with Kristy and Valley due to the need to add the popularity factor to the group and after a while I started to climb the friendship meter until I could gladly call the twins best friends. But every chance Sara got, Sara took. She even blamed me for Kristy’s heal breaking on stage for a play. But it never fazed the twins (thus why they are still my best friends) Before the party the twins had voted me organiser of people invited. I did not invite Sara Knight. She must have found this out because she blamed kissing Damon on the fact that I had ‘fooled’ the girls into disowning her; and this was the revenge of such a crime. In fact she even cried at the ditched-girl story but the twins knew better having faked tears before and truly disowned Sara Knight forming a group with the already Sara haters. Now we were all equals obviously we all had our best friends but we never had leaders or anything. “Victor and Chris with their little slave girl Dator base, isn’t this great.” Said the oh so sweet voice of Sara. “Go away Sara Knight we aren’t in the mood to play kiss the donkey.” Shot Kristy while Valley stood, “Yeah if we did we’d be wearing cake on our face like the gross creature in front of us.” A gritty laugh from Sara, “Oh don’t worry I only wanted to congratulate Dator base,” She said her nose twitching as a smile creased her face. “Yeah right.” Muttered Damon who was now frowning. “Ha well I guess I can catch her at work... Considering I am mangier of the place dad will be so proud of me,” Before my mouth could drop she turned her orange hair bouncing with the spin. “Oh fuck.” I said tightening my hand in Michael’s.“Hey don’t worry I’m sure you’ll be fine Blue bird.” He kissed my forehead and I felt myself relax.

The only problem was that he was wrong. I was not fine as I entered Gifts and Swifts shop, not only was I late but I was also greeted by Sara Knight. “Welcome you’re late start stocking!” She shoved a box in my face and pointed to a shelf to my left and I started. My first day wasn’t exactly fast or a blast. In fact the boss (Sara’s dad) came in and told me I couldn’t have a break because of lack of work. The only words I could fumble out were, “yeah ok, sorry,” By the time the clock struck five fifteen I was free to go home... after I closed the shop. I looked up from the till Sara Knight and Drew Knight (her father) had left and they were trusting me to close up the shop with a key and a bucket of soapy water. So now I was the cleaner too? I walked around the counter and swivelled around shelves to the entry of the shop; I looked up at the plastic roller door and jumped my height not a very useful tool without a ladder. Reaching up, I jumped again and then again and then again and- “Vitae?” I jumped this time stumbling to my knees; I looked up, heart in my throat as I squinted I saw it was a very tall guy. “You alright?” I shook my head. Who was he? “Let me get it.” He took the handle in one hand and my arm in the other pushing the door down and pulling me up, he stopped the door before it hit the ground, “never shut it completely Vitae, or you’ll lock yourself in, that’s the trick, leave it open just a bit.” He smiled moving some blonde hair out of his eyes, “I’m Felix I take care of the storage out back,” Said the boy flipping his thumb over his shoulder to the back door, “Oh c-cool, I’m uh, new ha.” He grinned, green eyes tucking under his cheeks for a second, “Yeah I know! I just didn’t get a chance to come out here because we have new stock.” I nodded, “yeah, well, uh, thanks for um getting the door for me.” I flushed, “no problem Vitae you can call me over if you have the problem ever again, I hope your first day has gone good,” I started to tap my foot out of habit, “It was fine, I have to clean sorry,” I said impatiently, “chill, ok well I’ll see you around,” he winked at me and I reflectively rolled my eyes, “Yeah thanks again Felix.” I said while he ducked under the door somehow. I mean no offence or anything but his buff tall figure was a wonder while it flexed under and out of the store giving a polite wave. At least someone is nice around here I’m so tired of Sara and it’s only been one shift. I sighed and got to work on ‘finishing’ up.

“So how was it? Any cute guys?” Asked Valley over the speaker while I wrote down my homework answers, “I guess, but I wouldn’t date him,” I heard Valley sigh in pleasure, “Think he’d like me?” I smiled, “probably, he seems really nice.” I heard her giggle, “Ooh describe him to me! He better be tall!”
“Well he has blonde curly hair, green eyes, and a cute smile, buff and very tall.” I answered ticking them off in my head. “Oh my god! He is my dream guy!” I groaned, “You haven’t even met him yet!” I said, “who cares!?What’s his name?”
“Felix.” I heard her make a ‘huh’ sound and then say, “isn’t that a girl’s name?” I shook my head realising she couldn’t see me, “I guess it’s a unisex name,”
“True! What’s his last name?” I raised my eyebrow trying to recall his last name, “I didn’t find out we were only closing the shop.” I looked at my homework nose wrinkling at the questions, “look I have to go Valley, sorry. I’ll find out his last name for you. Tell Kristy I say hi,” I hung up before she could insist on face book stalking Felix.    

Kathy Onyx rushed outside her eyes watery. “Help me! Anyone? Help!” She searched seeing me.“Vitae! Help.” I tried to move but all that happened was a wailing sound. I saw her mother dying with a small child. The land started to sink. The memory coming back; “Those people are dying and you are just standing there!” The voice echoed I shuttered, blinking at the family. I woke up. Stupid nightmares.