Shooting star chapter eleven

She whitened, “Uhm,” Gathering the blankets that she’d had on for warmth she got up and ran into the rough brush of bushland. I quickly got up and ran after her only to notice that her sister had fallen asleep on James’s shoulder. “Valley! Stop! Wait up!” I called trying to adjust my eyes to the sudden darkness; she whirled around tears staining her eyes with a fresh shine. “I can’t believe he had t-the nerve!” She threw her fists up then fell to her knees and I dropped down with her. “Hush, just tell me what you’re thinking.” I rubbed her shoulder soothingly, “I-I still love him, it’s just hard, w-when, I just don’t know if I can trust him. You know?” About to answer her she continued, “I mean I unders-stand that, that maybe it was that slut Sara’s fault. B-b-but he must have felt something for her. I just can’t stop replaying what happened. Uh! What’s, what the hell is wrong with us?!” I squeezed her shoulder and side hugged her as she rocked back and forth sobbing. “Well, uh, err, where do I start?” I said out loud. “You know how me and Michael had been dating for ages?” She nodded still crying and not fully paying attention, “well I had my moments where I wondered if I wasn’t good enough for him, I mean, there are other girls at our school that are, richer and smarter and much, much more prettier than me, but he never gave up! Then well, then he almost raped me. Which told me that I had had it wrong the whole time and that he wasn’t good enough for me. So then we semi-broke up and I dated someone else, kind of, if you count like, three days worth of being confused, it was then that I went to you and your sister for help, as you remember-,” she nodded again swiping off some droplets from her cheeks. “Anyway, I don’t know how but soon enough I felt something and he felt it too, I could see it, see it in his eyes, the way he loved me back and how we felt right with each other. It took some time to fully register but we know it. I guess... What I’m trying to say is, that, people mess up and we need those mess ups to figure out how to solve the puzzle, because who said that just because a picture perfect painting is the way it’s supposed to be, means it’s easy to get the real thing that way? If we could throw it together like the cover on the box then we’d get bored and keep trying to find something else. If you and Damon didn’t have this little break down then, do you really think you’d have to think so hard about how much you really love each other? Do you think you’d understand how much you’re heart truly desires his?” She was getting up eyes staring at me with shock. “You’re so smart and pretty and awesome you are the best adviser I know. Thank you so much, I think, I think Damon and I need a talk.” I nodded and we both made our way to the small camp site. The fire had dimmed and only one figure stood. The two slowly walked up to each other and Valley gave a small glance toward me. I nodded and went to the Ute.

“Need a hand?” I asked seeing Michael’s figure tug at something under the wheels, “... Nope... Just, fixing this. Up” I smiled and studied him greedily. He groaned and bumped his head then pulled away rubbing a spot on his forehead. “Are you ok?” I asked stepping toward him, “maybe if someone kissed it better.” I stretched up on my toes and kissed the red spot. “All better?” I asked he nodded and hugged me close by. “Let’s go to bed... or to the Trailer” I whispered. We gazed into each other’s eyes and he nodded quickly pressing his lips to mine, then tugging my hand so he could take us to the rear end of the car. I pulled myself up with a bit of help from Michael. I blushed knowing that this would be the second time he and I were in the same sleeping area, but I doubted that we would do anything this time, mainly because Valley and Damon were in the Ute too. I pulled the rug up to my neck and snuggled into Michael feeling slightly uncomfortable on the small blow-up mattress. Michael faced upwards. “It’s so clear tonight.” He whispered. I stared up too and saw the glint of a starry night. “It’s beautiful,” I muttered, without turning his head he said, “you’re beautiful,” I smiled hugging him closer. “I love you.” We said in sync. We kept watching the beauty’s floating above us when a movement caught my attention. “Look a shooting star!” I said closing my eyes shut and thinking up a wish. Without much searching I wished upon my dreams to make sense and stop creeping me out. Suddenly Michael shifted his position so that his hard body was facing mine and my eyes were instantly drawn to him instead of the sky. I felt a sigh escape from my mouth and he grinned cupping my face. I wanted his lips on mine and our bodies tangled. I quickly lent forward and started a passionate kiss. We kissed for two minutes then he reluctantly pulled away. I groaned knowing we should keep it at that. “Later.” He said slightly out of breath. “Later,” I agreed.

The dream was as clear as the sky that night; trees, faces, houses. I realised I was in a car, or some type of vehicle. Even though the images flew past instantly, it wasn’t a tad blurred. The first few were trees, an orange tree dotted my vision then an apple tree and finally a tree with a fruit I didn’t recognise. Then came the faces, each one I knew at first. Until after My mother’s came a man with bright blue eyes and black waxy hair and a sad smile, then an older man one who was quite average for an elder then soon after a lady with an apron almost as old as the man. I finally saw a house that was wooden and hidden behind tall trees specked with leaves and lacy flowers. I flew my eyes open.    

I held his hand tightly; a rare moment of not actually showing intimacy toward Michael. My head jerked forward and my heart sped along with the car. Michael and I were taking the trailer as a seat, and I was scared shitless. “Calm down blue bird.” I laughed uneasily. “W-what if we fall off?” I asked; squinting, my eyes at the particles of dirt flying past us. Michael squeezed my hand, “you’re fine sweet heart.” I nodded but didn’t feel reassured. I thought back to the other day when I’d almost fell off my roof. I leaned back trying to sustain a comfortable position.

We stopped at a keen looking cafe that was as drab as the brown sand surrounding it. The place had very obvious amounts of decay and needed a scrub up. Only one car was unevenly parked in the driveway and one of the tires was flat. The sign read “car stopper caff” and I laughed at the cheesy scrawling. The six of us uncinked our legs and stretched our arms. “I’ll pay guys.” Said James who we all knew was extremely rich. No one argued and we all headed inside. I smiled at Valley and Damon’s joint hands. The place strangely looked homey and welcoming. There was an old lady behind the counter her chest covered with a purple apron. I blinked remembering her from somewhere, unable to pinpoint her, “I’ll take four coffees and two ice teas with two large chips.” Started James. The rest of us made our way to a large round table. I decided to sit with Valley and Kristy egger to know the latest with Valley. “So... I see you guys are back together?” I said quietly. “Yeah you guys were holding hands and giving the googly eyes to each other!” Valley smiled, “we’re taking it slowly but yes we’re back together.” I gave her a side hug and was happy that there wouldn’t be any more awkward silences. The smell of chicken salt and steaming coffee wafted toward us and most of our heads shot up as we were greeted by a coffee bearing waiter and a chip struggling James. As we sat and ate I remembered how good it felt to just be around loved ones. When was the last time I got to just chill out with my best friends? When was the last time I got to forget about my problems? It’s almost like life’s complete at this rare moment. Almost... I sighed tipping some more coffee into my mouth and continued smiling at my friends who were all talking and laughing happily. I started to stare off knowing that this was just an ADD side effect. My friends were too much in conversation to really notice my stance. I tried deciphering my latest dream in my head. Though I could only remember trees and buildings. I guess that wish I had made didn’t want to come true. I slumped a bit in my seat. I looked over at Michael and shared a smile with him. I couldn’t keep my worries over silly dreams bother me; especially on a day as nice as this. “-Yeah Vi; you still haven’t told us why we’re going to this farm!” I blinked up; surprised I hadn’t heard the discussion, “well uh.” Could I tell them? “Well uhm.” I kept stuttering. I chewed my lip nervously. Something told me I couldn’t answer the question. I knew I’d told Damon; but he had been dunk at the time. Hadn’t he? “Vitae?” cooed Kristy. “I had to-had to get away from my house. Just drop it.” I stammered. “Sorry,” said the twins in sync. “Oh, come on blue bird.” I glared at Michael. They shouldn’t have to know. They should just stick their noses into someone else’s business. “Excuse me,” I muttered pushing my chair out and getting up. “I’ll be right back.” I needed to clear my head. I walked to the bathroom seeing the old tacky privet room with one toilet and a tap, with glass tops. I stared at myself in the framed mirror and wasn’t surprised to see purple lining my bright blue eyes.  “Hello?” I jumped; seeing the lady from behind the counter. “I couldn’t help notice but you look awfully like a man I knew named Pete. Pete Dator?”