Hanging over chapter eight

I groaned as not a single memory arose. I rubbed at my eyes and felt dizzy from the small motion. I slowly made my way to the kitchen and started to brew some coffee. The smell wafted into my direction and a sweet desire hit me. I gladly poured a generous amount of hot steaming black coffee, and then gulped down the liquid gold with greed. A buzz eroded my mind and thanked me for clearing any beverage affected brain cells. Feeling slightly less sea sick I went to my room and found a very upset looking Scruffy. I owed it to her to go for a walk and probably double her food considering it was getting later in the day. When I poured her biscuits she swallowed them down as if I’d starved her. She looked at me again with an angry fro but let me hear her thumping tail as a thank you.

 About to go get clothes for a shower I heard a knock on my door. When I pulled the door open I saw a very worried James. “Oh the bruise looks nasty parsty.” He said rubbing his cheek as an indication. I suddenly felt a bit tender on my left side of my face, “heard she threw a punch.” He said wincing, “anyways I have brought you goods,” he said holding up my black handbag. An instant flush fell onto my face, “you-you didn’t look in there did you?” He looked at me as if horrified of the question, “no way, I got Kristy to do that!” I suddenly felt my face smile, “so are the twins better now?” he nodded handing me the bag. I checked inside and saw my blinking phone and a bottle of full water. “I don’t remember anything,” I muttered to him he twisted his face strangely, “yeah, well that’s good.” I raised an eyebrow, “how?” He backed up a bit and was more further from the door, “huhu you know...” I shook my head instantly feeling pain shoot from my brain, “no I don’t know.” I said. “Well I think its best I go now... Oh and Michael said he was going to come around to, uh talk to you.” He backed away and ran to his SUV. At the mention of Michaels name came heart ache and suddenly a flash of memory crossed my mind of watching the party from outside. Then a small picture of Michael cornering me. The sound of blaring music, the piercing voice of Sara Knight, the interment dance with the guy I still loved, the feeling of happiness from having a friend I could talk to, James walking off, Gail hugging Borax, seeing the word vodka and realising that I was drunk, the silencing slap that choired the audience and the sacred words uttered before my eyes closed. Oh hell no. I said to myself in an American accent This isn’t too bad he was probably drunk too, and Sara had to have been sculling brandy or something. Uh who am I kidding? I smacked my thumping head and knew that I had to break it off with Kane I didn’t do double dates. Especially if I’m the girl in both of them. I started to scroll for his number but it was then that my phone decided to die. I guess it couldn’t take the party either. I grabbed the home phone and hit speed dial to his cafe. “Hello? Kane Demonpentrox’s cafe, how may I help you?” I sighed, “May I speak to Kane himself please?” I asked attempting sweetness. “Oh I’m sorry his caught that ugly virus going around,” she said sounding sad, “oh well can I please have his home number?” I asked not knowing it from heart, “oh, you’re his girlfriend,” she said bitterly. I guess she didn’t know the half of it, she sighed, “it’s-‘” she started to tell me each digit and I wrote them with a horrible scribble, “ok thankyou-,” I said but she hung up. I carefully took my time as I started to press each number. I felt my palms start to drip with sweat. This is not a good time to start panicking. I told myself, he’ll understand. He picked up after four rings, “hello?” he then coughed, “Hey it’s me,” I said sounding like a mouse. “Hey babe,” he slurred, “look... I-uh we need to um... talk about this couple thing...” He was silent and I had to check the phone to see if it was still on, another cough answered me, “oh.” He finally said, “Yeah... I’m really sorry Kane, but I’m not really ready for this,” he groaned, “is this because of that Michael kid?” he asked annoyed, “well it’s complicated,” I said quietly, “uh, so you’re back together aye?” I shrugged, “not quite,” He started having a coughing fit and I felt a wave of sympathy, “I’ve got to go, bye.” I said hanging up feeling even worse than when I woke up.

About to sit down I felt a drip on my shoulder. I looked up. A small hole was agape in the roof. I rolled my eyes, could this get any worse? As if answering my bubble of a question a scratch sounded near the front door. I trudged over feeling glum, “hello?” my voice was slow and drowsy I looked up to see Michael holding some white tulips. “Uh, save me now.” I shut my mouth, “I didn’t say that out loud did I?” He nodded. “Sorry come in I’ve had a hell of a morning.” I said leading him to the dining room. We stared at each other for a moment. Then he shivered and looked up, “oh, that looks nasty.” He said awkwardly until an almost visible light bulb flashed above his head and he widened his eyes in glee. “I could fix it!” he said happily. I shook my head, “oh no you can’t.” I said thinking about the steep roof, “Oh come on my dad and I used to do it all the time together at my old house, just let me have a look.” I gritted my teeth I was going to regret this, “fine just a look.” I said. Ten minutes later of Michael climbing onto the roof in a very unsafe way he looked down at me. “The view’s beautiful up here, I can see the ocean, let me help you up.” He said. To both mine and his own surprise I climbed onto the stray bricks and latched my hand onto his. “Ok now on the count of three, jump and I’ll pull you up. One, two-,” I jumped and a ropey hand yanked me up. He was right I looked at our horizon still gripping his hand tightly; it was amazing; rows of old suburbia and the dark blue Rocket beach that held our bad memories. Thinking about this I released my hand. But what happened next sent any past thoughts running. I yelped as my body started to fall and I flared my arms around finding the rough edge of the pipes on the tiled roof. I held on as tightly as I could heart beating loudly in my ears. Michaels face appeared above me looking extremely scared for me. If I wasn’t hanging on for dear life, I would have thought he looked cute. “Help!” I squealed, “Just hold on,” he said and I gave him a look. “Ok reach for my hand and I’ll drag you back up.” I felt a finger prick from sweat and I threw my other arm up like a bullet. He literally dragged me up balancing us both. “Let me down now!” I said not looking at the two metre drop below me. Michael nodded and made sure I was secure by myself. He leapt down not caring that the land made a funny banging nose. Turning to face me he opened his arms widely, “jump and I’ll catch you.” My heart quickened, “this isn’t a movie we both know I’m too heavy for that. Plus you’ll miss.” I said my voice dripping with concern, “I won’t miss I promise.” Full Of surprises I sucked in some life supporting air and jumped plunging onto Michael and feeling the awkward pull to earth as we both dropped to the ground. In unison we both said, “I told you so.” Looked at each other and fell into uncontrollable laughter. When we finally took our last silent chuckles we both stared at each other; both still lying on my front lawn and both still slightly in each other’s arms. “I love you Vitae Dator. Will you be my girlfriend again?” I couldn’t help but grin, “you always knew how to lighten my mood.”

“So is that a yes?” I nodded and closed my eyes. He pulled me closer and held me close. After a while I drifted off into la, la land. “We should go inside the mosquitoes are starting to bite.” I heard Michael say softly. “Ok.” I replied yawning. We went inside hand in hand and my heart squeezed in happiness.

We decided that after such a strange day and a horrible party Michael would stay over. Ideas corroded my mind of possible scenarios. As the time ticked by and conversation dimmed we decided to watch a marathon of movies. He let me choose and was all too surprised when I reached for my Disney favourite ‘Lady and the Tramp’. When we both got comfortable on the sofa I snuggled into him. He stroked my hair as the movie started. Now all I wanted to know was how the night would end.