The gift of family chapter twelve

“Are you alright?” I blinked at her. No what the hell are you going on about? I was a deer in the headlights. “I never met him.” I said with a tiny voice, “oh my mistake,” said the humble lady, “he was my dad.” I finally said as her silhouette was almost out the door again, “oh dear.” She said raising her hand above her mouth like an old fashion actor on stage. “Yes I am his daughter I have never met him because he died in a crash.” I blurted for some reason. “My goodness, you might want to see something.”She started to scurry away and I hesitantly decided to follow.  My friends gave me confused and worried glances as I silently followed the lady to the back store.

Rosemarie centred candles shyly lit little shelves and I insistently felt like I was in a spirituel place. “So I’m guessing you’re Vitae.” She said with her back turned, “how do you know?” With a pause she continued, “He’s my son.” If I could conjure anymore shock than I would explode, “you’re my grandmother?” She nodded then looked at me her hand cupping something small. “This was sent to me sixteen years ago, by a lady claiming to be his wife; now a widow with a child. She wrote a long letter filled with sadness. Told me in her writing that Pete had given her this when they met and it was cursed. She wrote that she would never want to see it again... But let me tell you something dear. Come closer,” I stepped forward. “It’s filled with a gift. Vitae Dator,” I cocked my head  “yes...?” She chuckled, “No, the gift is Vitae Dator. It’s Latin. What do you teenagers call it? Go goggle it.” I smiled, “you mean Google,” she nodded, “yes. Anyway I want you to have this, it’s a very helpful item and it has been in our family for over two hundred years.” Opening her hand was a silver chain. I concentrated and noticed something threading through her fingers. “It’s a bell!” I said with shock remembering the entry my mum had put in her journal. “It says my name...” I stated looking at it as it danced with light reflected from the candles. “Indeed, it’s very important and there must be a good reason as to why your name is Vitae. It’s part of the puzzle darling.” I was still staring at it studying the individual characteristics. I traced a crack that ran through the bottom and almost touched the top. A shiver rode up my spine and I heard a distant sound snapping my head up. I was in the bathroom again. I blinked then spun around. The only other person in the room was my shocked reflection. I rushed out and saw my friends heads all robotically looking in my direction. As if I had only just left and then come back they gave me a small glance then looked back at each other. My hands shook as I walked toward the table. I could feel the cool metal in my palms and was almost too scared to check. You belong in a mental asylum; you shouldn’t have these kinds of visions. You’re not normal.  What was I meant to do with the damned bell anyway? Ring it to call for food from this side road cafe? I straightened my posture thinking that maybe I could mask my concern. Joining the group again I mastered a quick apology to my former behaviour and got some quick ‘that’s ok’s from around the table. Trying to calm myself I reached toward the bread baskets that had contained the chips. The key word being ‘had’ my hand met with another and my eyes searched up to meet with Damon’s. I would tell him about this later. He didn’t think I was mad. Damon showed in his eyes that he sensed my uneasiness and did a slow nod before continuing to talk to Valley. Kristy nudged me and I looked at her, “Mmm?” I mumbled she diverted her gaze to my closed hand where the chain looped through my fingers, “oh... My necklace came off,” I said suspiciously, luckily she shrugged it off and started small talk with me and I tried my best to shake my run-in with the lady who claimed to be my fathers mum.

I ignored looking at the counter afraid that the lady may be a true figment of my imagination. We settled in the car and I took the passenger seat next to Kristy who didn’t seem to want to let anyone drive her hot-rod as she called it. “Only twenty kilometres left.” She stated after pressing a couple of buttons on the navigator. The voice flooded out computer directions filling the car with mocking jokes and of cause excited blabber. In what felt like a minute we were pulling into a house that looked somewhat familiar. Trees dotted the front yard with fruits riping on the tips of the branches. Some I knew the names of and others looked foreign. Something made me shiver as I opened my door but I knew for a fact it was boiling today. Leaving the bell in my pocket I got out first followed by Kristy and then Michael and James. Michael went to the back to help the other two and I started up the long drive. My mind had to concentrate for me to remember that I was here to learn about my mother and my dreams. My foot landed on smooth concrete. I was now standing in front of a door knocker and an antique arch window. The door opened and a lady appeared; “oh you must be that Vitter girl.” I rolled my eyes the voice instantly becoming familiar, “Vitae...” I said with narrowed eyes. A body came up beside her and smiled wrinkles lining the mouth of the man whom, I guessed must be the man, my mother worked for. I still hadn’t learnt his name and felt partly stupid. “Hi uhm...” He pushed past the girl despite his smaller breakable body. “Stewart.” He said with a smug smile he pointed his glance toward behind me and I followed it to see a pile up of my friends. “I’m not sure we’ll be able to accompany so many guests..” He said slowly, “Uhm, yeah... Sorry about that.. We’ll only take a day out of your time..” He nodded and gestured his arm inwardly allowing my friends and I to walk inside.

We ended up talking a lot. But I only got to know about how well my mother was at fruit picking... The day was slowly turning to night and I needed to ask about books, about my dreams and most of all, my father. “My mum, she used to have wired dreams did she ever tell you about them?” I asked while my friends got a tour of the orchids, “Yes, yes... She was quite restless, in fact I often had to use our special fruit remedy to help her and  a good book to help her mind stop stressing. I hope she isn’t going through that again... Do you want me to mix up some? So you can bring it to her?” I was about to say no, when my dream flooded back and I realised I wouldn’t mind some help as well. “Yes please. Did she uh um ever mention my dad to you?” He was getting up and I followed him to the kitchen, “yes’ yes, she was always so sad when the topic came up but if you want to find out more about him I can give you some contacts that she left here when she moved to the city.” I smiled; it was hardly a city but nodded, “that’d be great Stewart. Did she leave anything else here?” We were now in the kitchen and he was squeezing a foreign fruit that was purple and rounded into a bowl. It was slightly bigger and darker than a plum. After that he stirred in some liquid that was in a bottle and had Rosemarie flowers dotting the label. “Yes she left a whole box of things here.” My heart fluttered... This was better than I expected. Stewart continued adding spices and herbs to the bowl and when finished poured it into a few bottles and then put the bottles in a box. After that he opened the fridge and pulled out a green bottle that had thick dark liquid inside and he said. “This bottle is special she sometimes ran into trouble that was unworldly and at least one of the times she had to save someone. I’m afraid that if that were to occur to her again she might need this it’s what you might call a life-saving antidote... But tell her to only use it if she must.” He put the bottle carefully in the same box and folded the cardboard flaps before turning on his heal and signifying me to stay where I was as he went to retrieve the box of my mother’s belongings. The sound of a sliding door rung throughout the room and I turned to see my friends and the rude chick walk inside. Michael wondered up to me with a handful of berries, “You have, to taste this.” I eyed it off but took a pinch and brought it to my lips. A rich, sweet taste filled my mouth and I realised that I was eating ripe raspberries and I chewed happily, “yum!” I murmured and leaned in to snatch a kiss. He grinned and put the rest of what he had had in his own mouth sending a confused glare at the box behind me. “For mum,” I said not turning. He nodded and instantly got distracted by seeing James with a bag full of berries. “Here you go.” I hadn’t noticed but Stewart had returned and placed the box beside the one full of potion-like stuff. I peeked an eye at my watch and noted it was soon to be seven and wondered where the time had gone but gathered my friends to help me with the boxes and for us to get going.

We returned to my house last after dropping the boys off so that suspicion wouldn’t be raised. It was dark so my mother was most likely at work or in bed. So I took the chance to sneak the goods into my room without her asking. I thanked the twins for what had been an amazing escape and got ready for bed. I hadn’t had a shower for at least two days because we left early from our day stop on the side of the road. So

I stripped down and turned on the steaming water. As my jeans hit the washing basket a metallic clink hit the tiled floor. I raised an eyebrow walking toward where the sound had come from and saw the bell. I had forgotten about it since I had been distracted with the farm so when I held it and started to obliviously put it on; I forgot how much the experience of getting it had scared me. But when I did remember I couldn’t care less for I was tired and the shower was awaiting me.