Chapter 25: Blooming Questions

"Theory #134 fail. Failure to link sealing tag with chakra even through a medium. Failure to link Flying Raijin formula with Chakra Sealing formula and failure to link it with a Storage Seal formula."

Minato considered himself a very organized person. His books were always neatly packed into his bookcase and his office was always tidy with anything he needed being easy to find because of distinct labels. Now it was nothing more than a cluttered, confusing mess. All thanks to his 134 theories he'd been able to come up with.

It didn't take him long to realize that he could no longer use his signature technique. He could feel no connection to it when it was supposed to be linked with his chakra. The Second Hokage, when making the technique, inscribed a chakra formula so detailed and precise that chakra would not disappear no matter how long the technique was active. Meaning if he placed a seal on something or someone, it would never disappear. What is confusing him is that the inscription of the seal remained but the chakra that connected him to it disappeared. That wasn't supposed to happen. In theory, if the chakra disappeared then so would the inscription itself.

Sealing inscriptions are all classified as reactive. Every Sealing Jutsu is supposed to react to chakra, no matter if it is a rejection or an acceptance. It isn't simply supposed to do nothing at all. It didn't work that way and as of now, finding a way past it proved difficult.

"Still having trouble?"

He hadn't noticed her come in at all. He didn't have the energy to be surprised. Frustration was beginning to kick in hard.

He nodded as Kushina set down in the seat in front of his desk.

"You look tired, Minato. It's ok to take a break. I can pick up the slack."

"No, you've just come from your Jinchuriki thing with Mito-Sama. You need to rest."

She was frowning hard and grabbed his chin harshly so that he could look up at her.

"You need more rest than me. Your eyes are drooping."

"I've been more tired."

"That's not the point." She sighed and let go of his face. "Yellow Flash or not, it isn't healthy."

"And eating ramen is?"

"This is serious, Minato!"

With that yell, he was forced to think that if she was truly worried for a reason or was he just not taking his health as serious as he should.

"You're getting older. We both are. You can't sit here all day and night with your theories. Kakashi may be a child but he is a Jonin, Minato. He's capable. Rin is too, and Gai is with her. None of them would want you to do this to yourself."

"You know she's right, kid."

That voice. Startled, he rose his head to the door to see his smirking Master.

"Jiraiya-Sensei?"

"Hey kid, been a while. Seems Kushina has been rubbing off on you since the last time I was gone. Your room is a mess."

He hadn't the chance to say anything before a book flew through the air and smacked Jiraiya upside the head.

"What was that, Dattebane?!"

"Ouch! You're still the same after all, Kushina! So violent!"

She turned away with a pouty face. "That's 'cuz you talk too much. Learn to shut it up."

Minato chuckled. "Please be nice. Anyways, how come you're able to be here, Master Jiraiya? I thought the Mist were beginning to make a push now that the Stone are beginning to thin out."