1.3

"Almost time for cake, guys!" Mrs. Howard shouted from the kitchen. As the rest of the girls dancing around the living room, Priscilla sat still on the couch.
Her arms were crossed over her chest as the reggaeton blasted and the strobe lights flashed.

Mrs. Howard came from the kitchen, icing spread across her wrinkled apron.

The older woman came over to the saddened girl, giving her thigh a light slap, "Wanna help me out?"

Priscilla quickly nodded, rising from her seat as the two left the room.

"You look miserable," Mrs. Howard's laugh echoed as she threw her head back.

The woman reached for her glass of wine on the countertop, taking a large gulp before setting it back down.

"That obvious?" Priscilla smiled, rolling up her sleeves as she walked towards the unfinished birthday cake.

"So, you problems, family drama or boy troubles?" Mrs. Howard questioned, rummaging through one of the kitchen drawers.

Priscilla just shrugged in response, her fingers tracing over the design of the marble.

"Listen, kiddo," Mrs. Howard pulled out a silver butterknife, pointing it towards the teenager as she spoke, "no man is worth this much frowning. You're gorgeous, you're young, and you can have anyone you want. Always remember that."

"And what if this guy was the only one I wanted?" Priscilla questioned, laughing to herself.

"Depends on how he hurt you," Mrs. Howard handed over the knife, standing on the other side of the girl as they began to finish.

Priscilla's throat began to burn, "He's been lying to me." The girl looked over her shoulder, back to her friends in the other room. They all seemed to be having such a great tome together. It pained Priscilla that she couldn't even enjoy a normal high school moment, almost ever.

"Well, men will lie to you, buttercup," Mrs. Howard wiped her messy fingers onto the apron, "That's just what they do."

"About another woman?" Priscilla's blue eyes met Mrs. Howard's as they paused. The older woman sighed, shaking her head.

"Definitely not worth the heartache," Mrs. Howard advised, beginning to stick the birthday candles through the cake, "I've known you since you were knee-height, P. What other girl could have this man that blind?"

Priscilla sat down on the bar stool beside her as Mrs. Howard moved the cake over to the display stand. "Your daughter."

The older woman nodded her head slowly, processing everything.

"Okay, okay, wow. Uh, which one?"

As Mrs. Howard asked the question out loud, the mystery herself came flying down the stairs.

"Mom, I can't find the can-" Lexi stopped mid-sentence as she stared back at Priscilla. The brunette cleared her throat loudly, shaking off the tension as she turned back to her mother, "I can't find the candle lighter anywhere."

Priscilla simply chuckled. She reached over the counter, grabbing the half empty bottle of wine before walking back into the living room.

"I just want to thank everybody for coming tonight," Maddy pressed her palms together, smiling from east to ear to her friends, "it really does mean a lot to me, being able to spend my birthday with you guys."

Everyone cheered, the flashlights of their cellphones reflecting onto Maddy's olive skin.

"You guys have always had my back through so much bullshit, so I just really want you guys to know I appreciate every single of you, and I love y'all."

The lump in Priscilla's throat became impossible to swallow as her eyes focused from Maddy, onto Cassie. The blonde looked as guilty as ever, her face puffy and red as her eyes began to water. As Maddy continued with her speech, Priscilla just couldn't wrap her head around the irony of the truth. How Cassie could so easily stand next to someone she had called her best friend, and accept her love, knowing what she was really doing. Especially sleeping with someone who had caused Maddy so much turmoil.

But, Priscilla knew she couldn't judge without feeling similar guilt herself. She couldn't and wouldn't tell Maddy what she deserved to know.

"Anyways," the Latina giggled, "before I start getting all emotional, let's just continue the good vibes and head to the hot tub."

Everyone quickly changed into their swimsuits and put their hair up before making their way to the backyard. The sudden sound of the doorbell ringing, caught Priscilla's attention. Cassie's head snapped towards the door, but Priscilla stopped her, not in the mood to join everyone yet.

"Go ahead," she told the blonde, who appeared extremely intoxicated as she stumbled, "I got it. I still have to change anyways."

Cassie flashed the girl a relieved smile, leaving her in the den to join the rest of the group.

Priscilla sighed, wondering who else Maddy could have invited, considering everyone who was expected was already there. The girl walked over, swinging the door open. Outside stood Nate Jacobs, six feet tall with a small pink gift bag in his hands.

Priscilla looked up at him in shock, a proper welcome leaving her thoughts.

Nate cleared his throat uncomfortably, "Hey." He reached behind him, scratching the back of his neck as the two lingered in the doorway.

"Is Maddy here?" He questioned, shyly.

"Uh," Priscilla looked behind her as Cassie closed the sliding door, "Yeah but no offense, is she expecting you?"

Priscilla could feel her defensive side take over as she continued to stare at Nate. She didn't want his presence causing any problems for Maddy, especially on her special day.

"Yeah," Nate began to explain, holding up the bag, "she had texted me earlier to stop by. I just wanted to bring her her gift."

You're literally fucking her best-friend, and you want to bring her gift?, Priscilla thought to herself. She shook her head, chuckling as she stepped back enough to let him inside.

"Thank you," the boy told her, causing Priscilla to turn around.

As she began to walk away, he called after her quickly.

"What's up?" She questioned.

"I know that you and I don't have the best history," Nate looked down at his sneakers as he approached the girl, towering over her, "With everything from New Year's, just know that I told my dad to lay off the whole thing. So, Fezco doesn't have anything to worry about on my end."

"He put you in the hospital," Priscilla reminded, her arms crossing over her chest.

"I deserved it anyway."

The teenager couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. She had never imagined that Nate Jacobs would be standing in front of her, admitting outright that he was asshole.

"Yeah," Priscilla snorted, "you kind of did, but thank you. If I see him, I'll let him know."

"If?"

"We aren't exactly on speaking terms," she explained briefly, knowing that he would probably get excited at the mention of drama in their world, "taking a break."

Nate tried to hide the smirk, coughing into his hand, "Understood. Shall we, then?"