5. lady jane

The van swerved to the right before Liam got back up and could look where he was going. "Okay, what the fuck?" Dora asked, demanding to be let out the car. "No can do, right now, Princess," Liam told her as he slammed his foot further down on the accelaration. "That was Lady Jane, I told you I saw her," Chubs shouted at Liam who ignored him and focused on driving. "Guys she's coming back," Ruby announced, ducking as more bullets flew past the van. They all toppled forward as Lady Jane rammed into the back of the van, Chubs making some comment about how crazy she was. Pandora crawled to the back, peaking out of the curtains just in time to see Kate and Rob hit Lady Jane's car and make her drop her gun. "League's on us as well," She said, crawling back to the front where Chubs was freaking out. 

"League is trying to get her off the road," Ruby stated, watching as the two cars fought against each other for space. "Please, let us out before someone get's hurt," Ruby begged, Chubs agreeing. "Liam, come on, let them go," He insisted. Liam turned to him and took off his seatbelt. "Shut up, I got this," He pulled himself out of the drivers seat. "Can you drive?"  He asked Ruby who stuttered out a horrified 'no'. "Well someone has to, Chubs can't see 10 feet in front of him," Liam said as he focused the wheel on the road. "I heard that," Chubs said with mortifying offense. "Ooh, I'll do it," Dora suggested, slipping into the drivers seat. Liam looked around as nobody challenged her, "She's high on pain meds," He said like everyone should be thinking it. "Well we're not stopping to let them out and nobody else can drive," Chubs said, pulling himself out the seat to help Liam. "You know the controls?" Liam asked, a sliver of relief filling his heart when she nodded. As Liam leaned over her to show her how to not stall the car, Lady Jane's car rammed into the back again. He flipped forward into Pandora's lap, grunting in shock. "My God, take me out to dinner first," Dora laughed before focusing on driving. "Man she's high as fuck," Liam raked a hand through his hair, "No, that's how she usually is," Ruby explained. Liam didn't have time to contemplate their new guest's personalities, rushing to the back of the van and unlocking it. 

"Keep driving!" Liam ordered as he swung the doors open. The pot of chalk Ruby had used tumbled out the van, crushed under the wheel of Lady Jane's golden car. Chubs held onto Liam as he stretched an arm out. Pandora watched into the rear-view mirror a his eyes radiated a blue colour. He started swirling the leaves around them, making it impossible for either cars to see. He then began to upturn the tarmac which made both vechiles swerve and slide to prevent falling into the forest. "Whatever happens, don't stop," Liam ordered, using both of his hands and relying on Chubs to keep him in the van, "Drive faster." Pandora gradually accelerated, not wanting to make Liam and Chubs fall out of the car. Liam watched gleefully as Lady Jane drove off course, sliding into the banks of the forest whilst the League's car was stopped by him pulling a tree onto the road using his telekinisis. 

Pandora grinned as an out of breath Liam grabbed the head of her seat. "Nice driving," He told her as they switched places. She moved into the passanger seat whilst he focused on staying on the road. "I think I should add it to my list of many talents," She told herself, Liam smiling at her humour. 

...

They stopped at the midday, the sun pelting down on their shoulders. Pandora watched as Liam unscrewed the tyre bolts using his powers, saying nothing. Chubs was focusing on a map, his eyes shining green as he thought. Ruby was inside helping Zu clear up the truck after everything had fallen off the shelves. "Do you guys even know where we are?" Ruby asked as she stepped into the suns rays. "Don't sound so scared, Chubs is a maps expert," Liam explained, Chubs mumbling about his name being Charles to them. "It's simple quatum physics, longditudinal lines mixed with direct proportionality," Chubs listed off the 'simplicities' of map reading. "In short, the kid's smart," Liam shrugged. "You think I wear these freaky nerd coke-bottle glasses for show?" He asked Ruby who stared at him, his eyes turning green. "And I know that nobody gives a crap about Greens," Chubs added, folding up his maps, "So please enlighten me. Why would the League go to all this trouble for you and... that," He gestured to Pandora who was trying to prevent her nose from bleeding again after knocking it in the van. 

"Here," Liam walked over to her as Chubs and Ruby argued, handing Pandora a handkerchief. "Cheers," She took it, wiping the reopened cut from her nose. "Dora, right?" He ducked his head so he could make eye contact with her. "Yep," She popped her 'p', chuckling after. "So, Dora, how'd you get that," He gestured to his nose. "Most people were born with noses, spoiler alert," Pandora rolled her eyes, looking at him when she heard his melodical laugh. "I have a bit of a smart mouth and a not very nice Captain," She nodded with an awkward smile. "Can't have been that bad," Liam brushed it off like it was barely nothing. "Oh yeah?" She asked, grinning as she watched his face drop. She had pulled her part of her shirt, showing off the mixture of malnutrition, bruises and scars which littered her body as common as freckles. "Quite a large smart mouth," She smiled, looking over to Zu who had set out breakfast. 

"So, Pandora, what makes you so special?" Chubs asked and walked up to the pair. "Chubs, leave her alone," Liam shook his head, looking at the very small spark of anxiety in her eyes. "If we're going to be stuck with her, we need to know what we're getting ourselves into," Chubs reasoned. Dora shook her head gently. "You're not going to be stuck with me," She promised him, walking to the van and grabbing the red rucksack. "I'm going," She stated, beginning to walk in the opposite direction. "Wait, where is that leading to?" Liam asked, grasping the bloodied handkercheif she'd handed back to him. 

"Whereever the heart takes me. I've already lost my childhood Liam. I want to experiance life before it's to late," She shrugged, hiking up the hill. She gasped as she felt an invisible tugging force yank her backwards. She tried walking again but the same feeling stopped her. "Hey," She turned back to Liam whose eyes were glowing blue. "What are you going to do? Hitchhike back to the main road? You'll be nabbed by a tracer and killed before it's time for bed," Liam explained, Dora's eyes hardening. "I don't think I remember asking for your opinion, boy," She looked him up and down before trying to walk away. This time her body was lifted from the ground and pulled back to Liam who clasped his hand on her wrist. "A tracer?" Ruby asked, stepping out from behind the van doors. "Like that crazy Lady Jane who nearly smoked our asses back there? Man for a Green you sure are slow," Chubs shook his head. "Oh Lord," Ruby breathed out, "Dora please, stay with them. With me. I need you right now because I'm scared. You're the only one who understands," Ruby whispered, her eyes glowing orange, Dora's glowing purple in retaliation. The two girls stared at each other for a moment, Ruby's words sinking in before Pandora rolled her eyes and grumbled a "fine."