18. fire

The five kids watched as helicopters became stationary in the air, guards with masks dropping down to cause havoc with the children. "Come on," Pandora grabbed Ruby and Liam's shirts, the other two following as she led them to the large center of the haven. Children came running out of their cabins, screaming in fear. The older ones picked up as many younger kids as possible and tried to make a break for it in the woods. They wouldn't get very far, Pandora knew they had to scorch this right at the source. Her eyes burnt purple as she shifted into a cheetah, looking up to see them all stare at her. She let out a large roar before rushing into the action and biting legs of guards as they tried to capture the children. 

She looked up as she ripped off a chunk of the leg of a screaming guard, another booting her in the thorax. She whimpered as she retreated, circling her next target. Her golden eyes slid over to the guards who were still dropping from the helicopter. She watched as they held onto the necks of some bagged child. They ripped the bag from their faces, the children's eyes and mouths burning red. Flashes of Henry came to the forefront of Pandora's mind. The Reds spat out hot fire, the dry grass catching on easily. The government had kept them to make weapons. Of course they had. "REDS!" A child screamed from the distance, causing pure havoc. They all bolted back, Liam grabbing Zu and running in the opposite direction. Pandora watched as kids cried as the heat soared onto their skin. The fire swallowed children whole, their screams engraved in the air. She stared at Liam longingly, sadness suddenly caving her in as she realised there would be no way out. The two would never get a life together. He used his powers to slam a trailer into the Reds who were being controlled by Clancy. Liam collapsed to the floor, making Pandora roar in response. Chubs pulled him up and they ran off into the woods. Dora shook her head, jarring the teary thoughts from her mind as she ran towards some children, their screams bellowing out as they saw her. She purred softly, gesturing to her back. An older kid pulled the kids up and onto Pandora's back, petting her head before Dora ran off into the woods to take them to safety. 

When she returned, she saw Clancy talking to Ruby. Pandora shifted back into herself, before running up to them. "Step the fuck back," She told him as he tried to reach for Ruby. She was all up in his face, a gun barrel not stirring her as it pushed its way into her abdomen. She only moved back when Ruby grabbed her wrist and tugged harshly. Suddenly, Pandora was on the floor on her knees, her face staring up at Clancy. His eyes were orange and focused on her. "Ruby stop, let me get inside her head. She can be the perfect Pandora, the one I want her to be. If I'd known about her powers before.. well then, we'd have been having more chats," Clancy smiled. His smile was strained as he tried to get in her head. Pandora fought as hard as she could to move her head to see Ruby. The girl was staring at her with her eyes burning orange. She was fighting Clancy for space in her head. "Noone will ever get inside her head again," Ruby grit her teeth and shoved Clancy back. He lost concentration which led to Pandora getting quickly onto her feet. She swiftly punched Clancy in the face before stealing his gun and holding it against him.

"You won't shoot me, Pandora. Good guys have morals," Clancy held his hands up and smirked. "Who said I was the good guy?" Pandora seethed, aiming the gun at his stomach and pulling the trigger. He gasped, falling back onto the ground and holding his stomach. "Pandora, get out of here," Ruby screamed, her eyes flittering into orange. Dora looked at her eyeline and realised that Ruby was going to bring te helicopter down onto Clancy. "Ruby, no!" Clancy screamed, unable to run from his gunshot wound. "DORA NOW!" Ruby shouted, the dark haired girl dropping the girl and turning to run. The helicopter started to direct down, it's path unstoppable as Pandora grabbed Ruby and dragged her away. 

The two were suddenly blasted with hot air from the explosion, taken of their feet in a moment of peace before slammed back onto the ground. Ruby got up and kept running, unaware that Dora was barely conscious on the ground. "DORA!" Chubs screamed, bolting onto the scene and pulling her up. He pulled her out of there as the engine of the helicopter exploded, sending a huge wave of flames licking at their back. Chubs yelled out in pain as his neck and back were burnt, the pair tripping and rolling down the leafy hill. "Ahh, ugh," Pandora screamed, her hands shaking as they touched the melted flesh on her neck. She pulled herself up, slinging Chubs' arm around her shoulder and making their way to the pier. They collapsed by a tree, Pandora using her arm strength to pull herself to the waters edge. She cupped the clear liquid in her hand and sobbed in pain as it sizzled against her skin. She then pulled off her jumper and dunked it in the water. She then army crawled back to Chubs, dripping the water and holding it against his wounds. It would make them cool and prevent further damage. 

"Where's Liam and Zu?" He asked, struggling to breath properly. "I don't know, Chubs we need to get out of here," Pandora cried. It was the only time he'd seen her cry, wet tears running down her face. "Don't get too emotional, although I knew I was your favourite," He smiled gently. "God, I'm rubbing off on you," Pandora shook her head, letting out a chuckle. "Go, save yourself. Get a life for yourself and Liam," Chubs told her, receiving only a shake of her head as a response. "No, we need to get you help," She cried harder. "Pandora, we both know that's not happening," He told her, squeezing her hand. He gasped in pain, holding his eyes shut. Pandora let out another loud sob, her eyes going hazy. She was about to pass out. She gently reached into her pocket to find the tracer necklace that Kate Bigby had given her. The League could help Chubs, they could save him. 

"Hey, what is that?" He asked. Pandora stared at him, pushing the wet jumper onto his neck further. "Help," She whispered, holding it up and pressing it. The necklace lit up red, another cry leaving Pandora's mouth as Chubs' eyes shut and he leant on her shoulder. 

When Liam found them in the morning, he let tears slip at the slight. His best friend was half dead on the lap of the love of his life. Both were unconscious and burnt half to death. "Pandora? Dory?" He shook her, pulling the girl into his lap. "Liam?" Pandora's eyes fluttered open, tears staining them softly. "Oh God, oh Christ, is he alive? I'll grab his legs," Liam started, holding onto Chubs' legs. "No, Liam, you can't fix this," Pandora cried. "He needs a hospital. You need to get out of here now," She showed him the necklace and he shook his head. "Oh God, Dory, you called the League?" He asked. They both ignored Ruby and Zu who slowly walked onto the scene with their hands covering their mouths. "They can help us but you have to leave, they don't trust you and they won't take you back," Pandora sobbed. Liam stared at her, his eyes sliding to her cuts and bruises, to the burns on her neck and on Chubs' body. He then stared at her eyes and her lips. "I'm staying," He told her, noticing Ruby and Zu and telling them to get the jumper wet again to relieve the wounds. He held Pandora who was crying and fighting him weakly until the League came. 

They waited until two cars arrived, four people stepping out all armed and ready to fire. Kate put her arm out and they lowered their weapons. "Help us," Liam stated, looking down to the once-again unconscious girl who he wrapped his arms around. He would save her. He owed her that much.