14. ambush

"We've having some fun tonight so get settled," Mike told them as the five kids relaxed onto proper beds. "Fucking hell this is nice," Dora grinned and lay down on the bed. They all piled onto the same bed, hugging each other as they all started laughing. "We finally made it," Ruby sighed, letting Zu hug onto her tightly. Once they'd all shared the moment, they all took it in turns showering and changing clothes. Pandora wore a simple shirt which she rolled up at the sleeves, tucked into some blue jeans. 

They spent the rest of the day settling in, meeting new people and figuring out the geography of the place. Everyone there still thought Pandora was a Green and all five kids planned to keep it that way - they'd discussed it before hand. When the daylight dimmed, kids lit up bonfires around the place. Fairy lights twinkled above a dance floor, a bunch of kids dancing with each other as their faces lit up. Music swirled around in the air from a bunch of speakers, the feeling of happiness spreading around to each person. They joyous life felt like an infection with no cure. Liam and Pandora sat on a bench, her head on his shoulder as they watched Chubs dancing with another girl. Pandora whistled and cheered for him, his mouthing at them to 'shut up'. They laughed and joked, everything seemingly perfect. "Floating lanterns, this is like Hogwarts," Pandora said, Liam nodding with a chuckle. "You'd be a Hufflepuff," He told her. "Hmm, the best house is all I'm hearing," She shrugged. They both simultaneously agreed he'd be a Gryffindor, Pandora then processing to tell him how weird he was. "Loser," She pushed his shoulder with hers, relishing in the sound of his laugh. "You'd be Harry," She told him, making his laugh. "And what that would make you Hermione or Ginny," He smiled. He grabbed his hoodie which stringed around his waist and used his telekinetic abilities to pull it over Pandora's head. "Don't Harry and Ginny end up together?" Pandora asked, slowly inhaling his gorgeous scent. "I- I didn't mean it like that-" Liam stuttered, stopping as he saw Dora laugh. "You are the best person I've ever met too," He told her, referencing their moment in the field. 

After a moment of silence, the two burst out laughing, Pandora holding her cold hands up to her red cheeks. "We should dance," Liam decided, standing up and walking to the dance floor. "Absolutely not, I don't dance, no, nope, nada," Pandora was shaking her head as Liam walked closer to the dance floor. "There is nothing you can do to get me over there," She told him, his eyes lighting up at her words. "Is that a challenge, Miss Drakes?" He asked, his eyes glowing blue. He using his arms to pull her up into the air and towards him, Pandora wobbling as she flew. She landed ungracefully, as usual, grabbing onto Liam to stable herself.

Dora snaked her arms around Liam's shoulders, letting his muscles relax. She looked up at him as his hands then wrapped around her waist. "You're very beautiful, has anyone ever told you that?" He whispered, his eyes flickering to her lips. The two were close, both of their face hot. "No, I don't think they have," Pandora smiled, her grin making Liam's eyes glimmer.  "Well then, people are very stupid," He noted, letting Pandora laugh gently. They moved closer, their eyes looking constantly to each others lips. Liam swayed them to the soft music, their faces edging closer. Finally, their lips met. Liam pulled her closer, making her smile into the kiss. They moved in sync with each other, the moment feeling beyond magical. When they let go, both of their faces were flushed and red. "Well-" Liam started but was cut off by her harmonous laugh. "This is like our little prom," Pandora whispered, letting her head fall into his chest and closing her eyes as he swayed them gently. 

...

In the morning, Pandora watched as all of them split up for the first time. Chubs was directed to the gardening patch; Zu was sent to the makeshift school; Liam and her were off to be part of the border patrol and Ruby was ordered towards Clancy's office. "Ruby," Pandora called as she strapped up her new guard uniform. "Be careful," She whispered, the dark-haired girl nodding. Ruby left, leaving just Liam and Dora to get dressed and head to the HQ for the border patrol. "Here," Liam smiled, digging his fingers into the camoflage paint and scrubbing it on her face. She gasped, dipping her hand in the paint and putting it messily on Liam's cheeks too. He put the paint down, grabbing her arms and holding them by her side as he gave her a short sweet peck, dragging more paint down her nose before running out the cabin. "Get back here Stewart," She called, everyone marvelling them - two inspiring legends - as they ran through the grass.

Everyone has a place in the world. Using your powers is only the beginning. Learning to use it for a cause it what is taught in the Safe Haven. It's what Clancy Gray was going to teach them. 

 Liam and Pandora made their way into the training programme, a short test for the HQ to figure out where your physical skills lie. Pandora learnt how to use a rifle, the best way to trigger intimidation, the signs of threat. She also spent half her afternoon tackling and punching people: the hand-to-hand combat portion - that's where the people truly learnt about the legend Pandora Drakes. No matter who she was up against, no matter how much she was beaten and cut and broken and bruised. She always got up. 

When they passed through camp again, Liam and Pandora saluted to Ruby who was smiling and walking around the fields. They saw Chubs talking to some boy about bell peppers and the best way to grow them, and Zu who was having the time of her life at school. Dora ignored the small incling in her which was desperate to leave, to find Betty again and continue on the run. She felt off, something in this place wasn't right. And she was going to find out what. 

Once they were approved, Liam and Pandora went scouting the perimeter with the newbies. "It's pretty isn't it," Dora smiled, looking at the light which streamed in through the trees. "Be quiet," A redheaded girl in front of them hissed. "Alright sweetcheeks, no need to get your panties in a twist," Pandora smirked, waving at her as she girl glared at the pair. "One day that smart mouth will get you in a trouble you can't get out of," Liam shook his head with a chuckle. "But then I'll have my oh-so-smart and oh-so-brave Liam Stewart to help me out," Pandora grinned at her sarcastic sentence, Liam making a coying smile at her. As the redhead turned around to say something again, she was tackled by some scouters in black. By their height and build, Dora and Liam immediately knew these were kids. They were ambushing them as a second test. Liam looked at her and then said the codeword 'Waterlily' which caused her to nod and run off. 

Pandora pulled herself away from the major fighting and scouting for a good tree. Before she could reach it however, she was met by someone who grabbed her from behind. They kept her in a headlock, however they didn't know that they were holding Pandora Drakes hostage. She pulled herself forward before smashing her head back into the guy's nose, smiling as she felt the sickening crunch. He let go, crying out as blood streamed from under his mask. Dora wasted no time in pulling herself up the tree and finding a hiding spot. From there, she watched as every newbie started to tire. Soon enough, they were all bound. The main ringleader, a masked man with the build of the 18 year old boy Pandora had sized up when he told her he was the HQ leader, stepped forward. He counted heads and suddenly his head was darting around. "We're missing two, runaways probably-" He didn't get to finish as Pandora saw the signal from Liam in the opposite tree and dropped a smoke bomb onto the floor. It exploded, all the masked ambushers coughed and trying to wave it away. The HQ man looked around, able to see anyone. Once the smoke had cleared, he realised that every single one of the newbies had been unbound and had their rifles raised at them. "Okay, reveal yourselves," The HQ boy stifled a smile, his eyes trained on Liam and Pandora as they scaled down the trees. "Who are you?" He demanded, both introducing themself. "Liam and Pandora as in Liam Stewart and Pandora Drakes?" The 18-year-old raising his eyebrows, both nodding. "I'm Conor, come with me, you two are my new second-in-commands."