nine

— 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐍, 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐀

—𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲

"Oh my god!"

Those were the words Valerie heard until she was tackled into a hug by Madelyn.

"I missed you!" Another voice rang as she was tackled into another hug by Madison

"No way! I missed you guys way more!" Valerie hugged Madelyn back, feeling a mixture of excitement and anxiety. It has been two months since the incident and yes Valerie has changed but she couldn't help but let the thoughts linger.

"I feel like shit." Kendall laughed as she came strolling after Valerie while she hugged Madison and Madelyn with big smiles on their faces.

All of them looked happy and relaxed, and Valerie felt a pang of jealousy at their carefree demeanor. Why couldn't she be that carefree?

Ugh.

Valerie cursed at herself, trying to push Drew out of her mind and focus on the positive aspects of her trip. She was excited to see Madison and Madelyn again, and she had heard great things about South Carolina. This was suppose to be a carefree trip so that is what Valerie is going to make it.

"How was your flight?" Madelyn asked as they collected their luggage's.

"Was good. The delta airline food got to me though." Valerie laughed as she looked at her watch.

9:56pm.

"Yeah, it's kind of late." Madison laughed as she took one of Valerie's suitcases. "How 'bout we go clubbing tomorrow, pregame a little before your birthday?"

"You know I love the sound of drinking." Kendall laughed as she tried to put the suitcases in the trunk of the car.

"Count me in then," Valerie joined along with Kendall's laughter as they all got into the car with Madison and Kendall in the front and Madelyn and Valerie in the back

"Are we going back to your place?" Valerie asked tentatively. Hesitation laced her voice since she knew Drew lived in the apartment above Maddie.

Kendall, Madison, and Maddie exchanged a knowing look before Madelyn spoke up.

"No, I booked us an air bnb. Is that okay?"

Valerie let out a breath of relief as she turned her head to the window but Madelyn's voice spoke up again.

"And Val, we know it might be difficult for you to be around him. We'll do our best to keep you from not having to deal with him. We're gonna have a good time, right?" Madelyn cheered towards the end of her rant.

Valerie felt a wave of gratitude towards her friends for their thoughtfulness. She knew it wouldn't be easy to avoid Drew completely, but their support made her feel less alone.

Valerie smiled a genuine smile

As they drove to their Airbnb, Valerie pushed all her anxiety aside due to Madelyn's words and focused on the beautiful scenery around her. South Carolina was even more beautiful than she had imagined, especially at night. With sprawling beaches and lush greenery. It was a welcome distraction from her worries

The mood was light and jovial, Kendall joked about how much fun they had at the last time they went to the bar in LA, imitating some of the dance moves they had all tried to do on the dance floor.

"So..." Kendall trailed off. "What are our plans for tonight?"

"Plans?!"

"Oh c'mom!" Kendall groaned. "Teletubbies is finally reunited and we're going to go to sleep? Boring."