thirty-one

—𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐍, 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐀

—𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲

"Landon, we need to talk."

Valerie felt the weight of Landon's gaze, he took a deep breath and his furrowed eyebrows reflecting a mix of confusion and anger. It was a familiar expression she had seen all throughout their... relationship? 

It wasn't really a relationship per se; as much as it pained Valerie to admit this, it was a situationship, and that was the whole reason of Valerie meeting Landon. She didn't particularly like the term situationship, and she juggled with the uncertainty  of whether she wanted it to evolve into a full on relationship.

"I think I know what this is about." 

Uh oh.

Valerie took a deep breath, she knew this wasn't a forever type thing which hurt since she was never the type of person to jump into anything if she knew it was going to end. The past few months she has been going right past her morals and she knew why. 

"Look Landon, I really wanted to see where this would go but now... now I just can't. It was fun but i'm not just looking for fun." 

Landon's features contorted with a hint of frustration. "You're overthinking things, Val. We have a good time together. Why complicate it? What else do you possibly need?"

"It's not about overthinking; it's about knowing what I want. I want a real connection." Valerie shook her head, her resolve firm. "We both know that this is what's best."

"And you think you're going to have a real connection with Drew?" Landon lowly chuckled. "The same dude who cheated on you."

Valerie released a heavy sigh, her chest tightening with the effort to contain her anger. Landon doesn't know anything; why would his opinions matter?

As she looked at him, she realized that this was one of the reasons she needed to end things. His lack of understanding and the dismissal of her feelings had been a recurring theme throughout their time together. She couldn't keep sacrificing her well being for some fun. 

"First of all, this is between me and you." Valerie explained, trying to keep her voice steady despite the frustration and anger deep down. "Also, it's not just about having a good time. It's about having a connection, understanding each other, having the same goals. You and me, we just don't clash." 

They didn't clash. Landon is barely in Charleston, and when he did come, he preferred staying at friends houses. Valerie knew she had to break things off soon so she did it at a time where they were both in Charleston. Valerie considered herself fortunate that Landon had even made an appearance.

"How would you know?" Landon laughed. "You didn't even let us try."

Valerie felt the weight of his words, but she knew deep down that trying with Landon wasn't the solution. It was time to prioritize her own needs and desires over a situationship that was never going to evolve in the first place. 

"We did, thats the thing, Landon. We did and it didn't go anywhere."

"No, cause you were too busy slumming it over with Drew."

Valerie felt a surge of frustration and anger at Landons words. Not because they were degrading to her but because it was degrading to Drew. Valerie found a newound protection over Drew and she can pinpoint why. Landon doesn't even know him. Yes, by Drew's actions he isn't perceived as the best person but Landon doesn't properly know him.

"This isn't about Drew." 

"Oh then what is it? Did you find another person? Because that wouldn't be a shocker knowing your reputation." 

Valerie's jaw slightly dropped. "You know what? A better reason to leave you is because you treat me terribly! You always find something wrong with what i'm doing and always find a way to belittle me. My friends would always try to tell me but I was too blind to see it."

Landon scoffed, dismissing her explanation. "You're really going to blame it on me. You're the one who's breaking up with me so if anything the whole blame is on you."

Valerie shook her head, standing her ground. "It's not about blame, Landon. It's about recognizing that I deserve respect and kindness in a relationship. I can't keep compromising my happiness for someone who doesn't appreciate me for who I am."

"Yeah, and Drew will." Landon raised his eyebrows in amusement. "God you're so needy. You know, it's kind of understandable why he did what he did." 

Valerie was shocked, a mix of disbelief and anger crossing over her face. She knew he could say some harsh things, but never this harsh.

"We're done. Leave. I'm done explaining myself. "

"Fine by me." Landon shrugged. "Don't come back to me when you catch Drew with another one of your friends." 

"Don't worry I won't. I'll find someone better." Valerie retorted to Landon with newfound confidence as he walked to the door. She couldn't believe the audacity he had to speak ill of Drew, especially when it was Landon's behavior that pushed her away.

As Landon closed the door behind him, Valerie felt a weight lifted off her shoulders. She knew ending things with Landon was the right decision. She wasn't willing to compromise her happiness and self-respect for a toxic relationship.

She was right, she knew Drew. She doesn't know why, but there was a gut feeling that believing Drew was the right thing to do. 

©𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐞