chapter 1

AN: So, this book has a lot of flower/plant symbolism in it. I found the meanings of a lot of these flowers and herbs online. Different sites say different things about each flower. So I may not be completely accurate with their meanings. Just wanted you guys to know this beforehand.

~

Cecilia Kir-Khair was the Flower of the North. A beautiful young girl with a smile that could soften even the hardest of people in Ketterdam. She walked the same route every single day from her family's flower shop in the University District through the Financial District and then through The Barrel, all the way to Fifth Harbor, and then back to the University District. She sold flowers, herbs, and perfumes all grown and made by her family.

She had walked that same route since she was eight years old with her mother. And then when her mother died of sickness when she was 12, she walked it alone. She loved it and the people loved it too. Once they got past the fact that she was a young Shu girl, she was remembered as the Flower of the North.

Cecilia was kind and gentle, always so happy to be outside and sell her precious flowers and herbs. She never frowned or let anyone get to her with cruel words or actions. She helped people as much as she could along the way. She was a Magnolia, beautiful and precious. One to be cherished.

Her twin brother, Valan Yul-Gerelt, was a perfumer just like their father Gerelt. He made the most exquisite scents alongside Gerelt. He was much more brash and outspoken. Definitely not the type to stand at the front of the store and sell to customers all day. He hated people and had no patience for them. He was a Gladiolus. Strong and loyal.

Her mother, Khair, and father, Gerelt, had immigrated from Shu just 4 years before the twins were born and made their life in Ketterdam. Her mother had been a Healer and a former Tavgarad, who then found proficiency in gardening and herbalism. Her father had been a thief and a poisonmaker, who turned to perfumery when he got to Kerch.

Cecilia took after her mother. She was a healer. While her brother did not. He was never jealous of the fact, instead taking advantage of her status as a healer to get into more trouble. She never complained though, so Valan never learned better.

Khair became quite sick when the twins were 12, and, unable to heal herself or find a cure for her sickness, died halfway through that year. Cecilia took it in stride as much as she could and stepped up to take over as much as she could when her father and brother became depressed. She never once shed a tear. She used her pain to motivate her to be better, just like her mother would have wanted. She knew Khair would live on inside of her.

And so Cecilia lived every day as she wanted to, with an air of compassion, elegance, and brightness.

~

14 year old Cecilia packed up her cart with fresh flowers as she did every single day, sprinkling in vials of herbs and perfumes as well in a small basket in the cart. She kept a pouch strapped around her waist to hold money.

She had a pure smile on her rosy lips. Her white dress swayed lightly around her mid-calf and her flat shoes were unusually silent along the floor. Her black hair was tied up in a neat bun, held up by two identical silver hair pins that had white pearls and silver chain tassels hanging down to her neck. Her eyes were a shimmering gold in the sunlight and most who hadn't seen her before did a double-take at the sight.

The way she walked was very graceful for someone her age. One foot ahead of the other. She never quite put the heel of her foot on the floor either, making her steps silent and more swift. Cecilia's smile brightened and she would nod in greeting to everyone she passed by before asking them if they would like to purchase anything off the cart.