chapter 18

Matthias and Nina joined up with the group after a while as they traveled on. Cecilia had kept fairly quiet for the most part, finding herself always inching close to Kaz after the scare of the attack on them. They had been going for two days and just finally reached the cliffs overlooking Djerholm.

The weather had warmed up quite a bit in the area. Ice had thawed and signs of spring were apparent all over. Cecilia found herself growing excited whenever she would see a small sprig of grass or feel just a sliver of the sun hitting her face. And Kaz felt his heart jump every time he saw that dazzling smile and the sparkle in her eyes.

The houses of Djerholm were all painted bright. A stark contrast from the white snow that they had been seeing day by day. Upon seeing the Ice Court atop the steep cliff, Cecilia felt anxiety breach her skin. It definitely deserved the title of 'unscaleable', as Matthias had said they were. Even for someone as experienced as their Wraith, it would prove to be a challenge.

Valan let out an impressed whistle, "Nice place you guys got here, Matthias. I was sure it would all be as boring as Ketterdam...or at least as boring as the people I've met from here."

Cecilia glanced at him in disbelief, "Val."

"What? I'm just sayin'"

Cecilia gave Matthias a sheepish smile, "I apologize for my brother, Matthias. He never really learned manners very well."

Valan snorted, "Manners? Oh please. Manners are for wimps and boring people."

Inej had to hold in the laugh at the look on Cecilia's face. She was sure the girl was praying to the Saints in her head to keep herself from smacking her brother. Inej found Valan's personality to be a breath of fresh air, honestly. Unlike Kaz, you could always count on him to be honest and blunt.

"Cannon," Jesper observed, nodding towards the cliff.

Kaz's shoulder nearly brushed against Cecilia's as he stepped forward, "I've broken into banks, warehouses, mansions, museums, vaults, a rare book library, and once the bedchamber of a visiting Kaelish diplomat whose wife had a passion for emeralds. But I've never had a cannon shot at me."

Cecilia's lips twitched up into a grin, "You've been quite busy, haven't you, Kaz?"

"Had to be."

If I wanted to stay away from you. Was what Kaz wanted to say. There had been a significant uptick in his acceptance of jobs after he had left Cecilia. She was all he could think about and it was painful. The thrill of a job was the only thing that could take his mind off of her.

"There's something to be said for novelty," Jesper said.

Inej looked nervous, "Hopefully, it won't come to that."

"Those guns are there to stop invading armadas. Good luck hitting a skinny little schooner cutting through the waves bound for fortune and glory."

Nina rose a brow at Jesper, "I'll quote you on that when a cannonball lands in my lap."

Valan clapped his hand on his sisters and Inej's shoulder, "You both better start praying to those Saints now."

Inej looked back at him, "For you? Possibly. Don't wander off on the job, Val."

Valan put his hand on his chest in mock offense, "Ouch. Barely even know me and you're already assuming I'm going to mess this up? Inej, you're breaking my heart."

"I don't have to know you. I know your sister. And she talks about you a lot," Inej said.

"You talking shit on me, Lia?"