chapter 16

After over a week aboard the Ferolind, everyone was about ready to jump off. Well, everyone but Matthias. He looked horrified whenever they inched closer to his home.

Even with the cold wind biting against Cecilia's skin, she would much rather feel her feet on solid ground. Even if the ground was freezing. She had enjoyed the water for the first few days she was able to go on the deck and experience it, but after a while it did bore her. Mostly it made her anxious. Anxious for the journey ahead and all the unpredictable events that may come of it.

Cecilia had readied herself to get off, putting on her coat and hanging her goggles around her neck. Most of her long hair was tucked into the back of her coat, keeping her neck warm. She was sad to have to part with her katana for the time being, but was assured by Kaz that it would be in safe hands. Valan was no better with his bow and arrows, nearly hissing at the person who took it from him for safekeeping.

Cecilia was instead given a set of daggers. They were about the length of her forearms and they certainly weren't as strong or resilient as her katana, but they would have to do for the time being. Valan was given a more standard archery set. The only things they were really allowed to keep on them was a select set of herbs and poisons just in case they needed them along the way.

Kaz came to stand by Cecilia at the bow of the ship and observed her as she stared out at the snowy landscapes. Her nose and cheeks were tinted a rosy color from the cold and it amused him that she had essentially fashioned her hair to act like a scarf. A large chunk of her long dark hair was wrapped around the front of her neck and disappeared into the back of her coat with the rest of her hair.

"We'll be departing from the Ferolind soon," was all he could think to say at the moment.

Cecilia just hmmed to show she had heard him, her eyes flitting back and forth as she surveyed the landscape, "That sword was my mother's. If it gets lost or stolen, I'm going to be angry. And if we don't make it back alive, I expect it to be returned home to my father. Or it'll be my ghost making all the trouble. Same with Valan's bow and arrows."

Kaz nodded, "I'll keep that in mind. They'll be returned to you as soon as possible. Just as you left them."

Cecilia smiled at him, "Thank you. I really appreciate that. Though I guess the best thing to do would be to try not to die."

"That would be optimal. Yes."

Kaz noticed a small lock of her hair slip out of place, the gentle but unforgiving winds making it flow forward. His gloved fingers twitched as he fought the urge to reach out and tuck it back into place.

"I've got another question for you, Kaz," Cecilia said.

Kaz snapped out of his trance and sighed, though he didn't actually feel any irritation with her curious nature, "I'm sure you do. I may have another answer for you. What is it?"

"Once you get the money...and after you deal with Rollins, what do you want to do? I mean, have you ever thought about what a perfect life may look like for you? A goal or a dream? Where would you want to go? What would you want to do?" Cecilia asked.

"That's a lot more than one question," Kaz said.

Cecilia ducked her head down in embarrassment, "Yeah, sorry. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. It's just...I was thinking about it the other day-- what I would like to do-- and then I thought, what would you want to do?"

"You think about me often?" Kaz asked, trying to avoid the question that he truthfully had no answer to.

"Yes, I do. All the time," Cecilia answered honestly.