chapter 24

Cecilia took one last look at Inej before she and Nina disappeared into the crowd. They couldn't stay a second longer or they may be taken back. Cecilia untied her cloak, subtly letting it fall to the ground and be trampled by the crowd. Nina followed her actions closely, leaving them both in the dazzling gowns.

Cecilia's gown was sleek, glittering, and red. Beads adorned it like drops of blood or scales that glinted in the lights. She looked straight forward, hoping no heads would turn in their direction as they approached the glass bridge ahead.

The glass bridge rose in an arc, shimmering lightly in the glow of the lanterns, and yet it was completely see-through.

Nina's hand brushed against Cecilia's, directing her attention to the White Island ahead. The wall looked like a leviathan, a giant dragon encircling the building. Cecilia thought it was beautiful, but she gave herself no time to marvel at the features.

They entered a vast ballroom, packed with people.The Elderclock chimed ten bells soon after.

Cecilia's breath caught in her throat when her eyes danced over the shadows and caught onto a familiar face. Kaz's gaze was already on her, intense and protective. He sat above like he was watching over her the whole time and Cecilia felt relief flow into her body. If she had focused any more on him, she may have sensed his rapid heartbeat as he took in her glorious form.

Cecilia, though she wanted to smile and wave or even run over and hug him tightly, didn't risk any of those actions as she continued with Nina through the room. Nina hooked her arm through Cecilia's as they ascended the steps onto the second floor balcony that overlooked the crowd.

Cecilia spotted the Fjerdan queen somewhere in the crown, adorned in pure white with a crown on her head. Nearby, there was a heavy presence of military. She knew that was where they could get something of use.

"Nice view, isn't it?"

Cecilia felt chills down her spine as a hand was placed on the small of her back. A man had come up on them, easing himself between the two girls. She hated the thought of his touch going any lower, but it still seemed to wander.

"You know, there are rooms here set aside for a little fun. And you both look more than a little fun."

Cecilia tensed even further as she felt a deadly glare pointed in their direction. She didn't have to look to know who it was.

Nina took care of the problem with little more than a flick of the wrist. Cecilia let out a fake gasp as the man dropped, hitting his head on the banister.

"Is he all right?" a passing couple inquired.

"Too much to drink," Nina answered, once again hooking her arm with Cecilia's as they made their way down the stairs and back into the crowd.

"Him," Cecilia muttered, nodding towards a man who looked like a general.

Nina forced herself into the path of a nearby soldier. He bumped right into her, spilling her champagne and nearly knocking her off her feet if it weren't for the general.

"You clod. You nearly knocked her from her feet," the general scolded.

The man let out a quick apology in Fjerdan as Cecilia pretended to check Nina over.

"I'm sorry. I don't speak Fjerdan," Nina claimed.

"Deep apologies. Much sorry," he spoke in butchered Kerch.

Nina shook her head, "Oh no, it was my fault entirely."

"Ahlgren, stop slaughtering her language and fetch her and her friend some fresh glasses of champagne. Are you quite alright? Shall I find you both some seats?" the general asked in fluent Kerch.